Chapter 27

[2 years later...]

He sat in front of the window, with his knees pressed against his chest, and watched as the snow fell. The streets bellow were beautifully adorned in white and despite the roaring fire that warmed the living room Barry still shivered a little every time the wind howled a little too loudly. He was alone in the open space kitchen-living room-dining room and Iris was on the second floor of their cosy loft, resting out her jetlag. They’d just gotten back from Portugal after a lengthy world tour comprised of endless interviews and media conventions. Barry and Iris had sort of become celebrities in the skating world, mostly due to their gold medallist status (for two consecutive years) though the romance between them made their lives of utmost interest to the public and therefore the media. The sun was beginning to set and Barry could just about see traces of orange and pink in the insignificant gaps between the clouds. Around the city, lights were being turned on and soon it became a picturesque collage of brightly lit windows all in varying hues of yellow, orange and white. He was so enthralled by the changing scenery that he barely noticed when Iris came into the room. She draped her arms around his neck and rested her cheek on the top of his head. Barry smiled and moved his gaze from the city to her. She offered him a smile in return then leaned in and pecked his lips. 

“How was your nap?” he asked while looking up into her cutely groggy face and Iris answered,

“It would have been better if you were in bed with me.” She caressed his cheek then added,

“What were you looking at?”

Barry put one of his legs down and gently pulled Iris to sit with him. She rested her back against his chest and his arms rested comfortably around her waist pressing her further to him in a warm and comforting embrace. They admired the city in silence, enjoying a rare moment alone together. Between practice, interviews, social events and contests they barely had enough time to be a couple yet oddly enough that’s what made moments like these so special. Barry turned his gaze away from the city and focused on Iris’s reflection instead. She looked awe struck and the slight faded quality of the image in the glass made her seem like something out of a dream. It still stunned him how beautiful she was and no ocean view or mountainous scenery in the world could compare to the splendour he got from waking up to the sight of her.

“It’s beautiful” she whispered and suddenly he got a sense of de javu to their first night together and just like that night, when the moonlight enhanced her flawless features and took his breath away he answered,

“Yes it is.”
Iris caught his eye through the reflection and noticed that he was staring at her. She wanted to make a teasing remark but his gaze was so intent that it silenced her, making the pounding of her heart more prominent.

“I love you.” He said without warning as was his custom and she offered him a small smile. She turned around to look at him and sat in front him with her legs folded beneath her. She caressed both his cheeks with her hands, cupping his handsome face and leaned in to plant a soft kiss on his lips. Iris drew back and said,

“I love you too.”
This time Barry leaned in and kissed her. He placed his hand on the back of her head and drew her closer. Their lips parted and their tongues connected, the moment growing more heated by the second. Their bodies responded with a baffling urgency. How could they be together for months on end and still miss one another so passionately? Iris rose from her seated perch forcing Barry to tilt his head back. His hands sneaked under her top and grazed her waist for a brief instant before moving up her back. Her skin was warm and soft. His hands felt incredible against her. Barry brought his hands forward and when his fingers grazed the bottom of her breasts he realised (without surprise) that Iris didn’t have a bra on. It had been too long since they’d seen each other in that way. Sex, though gratifying, seemed almost meaningless when done in a place as cold and without character as a hotel room. But here, at home, in their home, it meant something. It was more than just infatuation driven desire. It was an intimate act of love. Barry broke away from her and looked at her hazy expression.