Chapter 23

[Iris]

Dear Iris

Every letter started that way. Each one more desperate then the next. Each filled with some form of pain and each revealing a piece of information about his life. Letters written over seven years and with every word she read a piece of her heart tore off....

Dear Iris

People might call me and idiot for still trying but after the year I've had I need something good and you're the only thing I have left.

I couldn't find a skating partner so my career might be over. My mom got shot and though she's better now the doctors say the area around her heart might never fully heal. To top it all off we might not be moving to Keystone. That means that I'll have to be away from you for who knows how long. I'd say that maybe that's what's best but like I wrote before you're the only good thing I have left.

That's why I keep on writing. That's why I keep on texting and trying to call. I can't let go of our friendship Iris and I can't help how I feel about you. Hoping that you're at home, thinking about me too and waiting for me like I'm waiting for you is the only thing that keeps me going. The only thing that brings me joy even though you don't write back. Maybe someday, by some miracle, you will.

I love you Iris, I always will. I'll see you again someday. Say hi to your dad and Wally for me.

Lots of love
Barry

She let the tears stream down her face as the realisation cleared her thoughts. He hadn't forgotten about her, he hadn't replaced her nor abandoned her. He'd loved her just as much as she'd loved him over the past few years and they might have found a way around the distance if only they'd been able to talk to each other...

I got kicked off the ice hockey team today. Eddie was acting up again for the billionth time and once again I smashed his head in. Don't be upset for me though. I'm not. I never liked ice hockey any way, I just bare it cause my agent thought it was a good idea to keep me on the ice while I waited for a partner. I know that's never gonna happen, there's only one girl in this world that I can skate with and that's you.

Iris put the puzzle together. He lost ice hockey because of her. A career that kept him close to the ice he loved so much. She knew that he was probably lying not to make her feel bad and she found it endearing. He sacrificed his career for her honour and loved her to the point of being willingly blind to the truth that her and Eddie had actually been an item.

I'm sorry Iris. I've failed you. Patty's expecting and it's mine. I'm not in love with her but I can't just abandon her now. I'm really scared Iris, I don't know what this means for us. I really wish you'd write back.

Poor Barry. If he only knew that Patty's child wasn't actually his. The paper had spots of imperfection on them. Spots that look like they were made from tear drops. He was petrified both of being a father and of losing her. The main doors opened again and three sets of foot steps echoed in. She heard the bedroom doors unlock and stood up from her place on the floor to greet her kidnappers with a defying look of bravery on her face. She refused to let them know just how broken she trully was.

"Ah, Ms West. I see you're still awake. Good. Now if you'd follow me into the living room please, and don't get any ideas. We've secured the doors and Patty has incredible aim with a knife." He warned before he walked out and Iris obliged with his orders. She sat down on the couch and looked at each of them with disgust.

"How's Barry?" she asked trying to keep the urgency out of her voice and a satisfied grin crept over the villains faces.

"I see you've read your love letters Ms West," Snart pointed out while pouring himself a drink.