Chapter 10

[Flashback]

Safe Travels, I’ll be waiting for your call. I miss you too.

That’s how he knew that their relationship had changed forever. Her message was bland, bare and emotionless. Nothing about it told him that Iris was the one who’d written it. But then again so was his. He hadn’t added that “I love you” at the end for fear that after the kiss they shared, the knowledge of his true feelings for her would hurt her further. He felt it in the way she kissed him back. He knew that she felt the same way and that if he in any way fuelled that emotion she’d wait for him however long it took. Because that was the type of person Iris was. She was loyal to the bone and felt everything too deeply, and he couldn’t live with himself knowing that she hadn’t sought after love because of him. She deserved better. She deserved to be happy and he wouldn’t get in the way of that. The plane picked up speed on the ramp as it prepared for take-off and he found himself drowning in regret. Why hadn’t he stayed? He knew that she felt for him what he felt for her so why didn’t he take her offer and live with her?

Because they we’re young and emotional and though her emotions seemed genuine he had no idea how permanent they were. If what she felt for him was merely a teenage crush then he’d be stuck in a house with a walking daily reminder of his heart ache. That’s why he didn’t stay. He’d lost his chance with her and now he’d have to live with the ‘what if’s’....

[Barry]

“Iris?” He snapped his fingers in front of her face and she blinked stepping out of her trance.

“Are you ok?” He asked genuinely concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just…look Barry. Even if I wanted to skate with you I can’t. Every time I so much as come close to the rink, I freeze."

He couldn’t help but smirk at the irony and she looked at him with a puzzled expression.

“What are you smirking about?”

“You. Freeze. Get it? Cause of the ice and…”

“Yes I get it.” She answered trying (and failing) to hide her own smile.

“There’s that that heart snatching smile I remember,” he said as his heart skipped a beat. He had finally gotten a positive reaction out of her. She rolled her eyes and sighed then said,

“If you decide to compete then I’m happy for you, but you’re going to have to find another partner.”

“But I don’t want another partner.” He retorted and her eyes widened, she wasn’t expecting him to fight for her.

“Well then I’m sorry Barry but you won’t be able to compete. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a hot date with my bed and some pain killers.” She said, turning around to leave.

“Iris wait. Let me help you.” He said, stepping in front of her to block her escape and placing a hand on either one of her arms. When she gave him a warning look he let go of her and fumbled with his hands in the air before deciding that it would be best to simply fold them.

“Help me? Help me how? I’ve seen three different therapists in the last seven years. If they couldn’t fix me how are you planning on doing it?” She challenged.

“I’m not going to fix you. You don’t need to be fixed Iris you just need someone to remind you why you started skating in the first place. Last time I checked I was the one who gave you that push.” He said and she simply stared back at him.

“Come on Iris. I’ve messed up so bad when it comes to you, give me a chance to make it right. Please.” He pleaded, his eyes searching hers for an answer.