Asking For Help

Imma just write and see what happens,
————
Peter Parker POV

I am so. Tired.

Today's been awful. I felt like crap the whole day, Flash was being a dick, and MJ and Ned were both sick. The whole day dragged on so slowly, I thought 1st period would never end.

Walking out of school, I sighed, remembering that it was Wednesday, so Mr. Stark was busy. (I remembered Pepper stormed in the lab, saying something along the lines of "Anthony Edward Stark, if you miss the meeting tomorrow, so help me." Mr. Stark paled and nodded.) I adjusted my backpack, letting of a quick sigh, and began to walk home. Usually I would swing home, but just the thought of swinging right now left my stomach churning. I walked through the streets of Queens, my eyes darting just in case a mugger came out or something else suspicious.

I paused though, when a stroke of pain waved over me, leaning on a building to keep myself steady. 'God, please don't throw up on the curb, please don't throw up on the curb.' I thought to myself, my vision blurring for a minute. It felt like I was on a swaying ship, the pain slowly building up. Then finally, my stomach settled down, my vision going back to normal.

"You alright kid?" An older man said, looking a little worried. He had a white balding head and nice eyes. I nodded as best as I could, not trusting myself to speak. "You know, it's okay to not be alright all the time. You don't always have to be the hero of the story. Sometimes, it helps to let someone take care of you." The man said, smiling in reassurance.

I smiled a little, and thanked the man in a raspy tone. I continued on, slower this time. I pondered what the man said. Maybe he was right. I can't always be at my best. Maybe I should let someone help me. (Note: Character. Development.) I gotta get help too sometimes. Mr. Stark always tells me that.

I remembered one night, I was fighting some guy while I was sick. My moves where sloppy, and I was losing badly. Then Mr. Stark rushes in, blasting the guy and handing him in to the police.

I remember the conversation clearly...

Mr. Stark sighed, watching the villain get hand cuffed, his powerful weapons being given to shield. He turned to me, his mask retracting.

"You. Me. Talk. Now." He said, flying over to a building. I felt myself freeze, sweat beading off of me.

Oh boy.

He's mad.

I took a deep breath, and swung up to the building he was on. The suit retracted, and he tapped his watch, sighing when I came up. I could feel the disappointment radiating off of him like a heat wave on a humid day.

"Mask." He said, looking expectant. I slowly took off my mask, fidgeting slightly.

He looked up and sighed. "What happened out there?" He asked way to calmly.

I remained silent for a moment, then whispered, "I screwed up. Again. And I'm sorry, really sir! But he was threatening people and I couldn't just—"

"Why didn't you call me? What went through your head, what was your process in realizing that you could fight a villain with a fever at 104 degrees?!" Mr. Stark interrupted, his gaze hardening with every second.

"I didn't want to bother you—"

"Oh, so now that makes it okay?! You nearly died for fucks sake!"

"I would've been fine, I can handle it—"

"No, you can't! Not now, and definitely not in this state! Do you know how much it scared me to see the news? The fact that you might die, and I'll have to live with the fact that I not only screwed up another persons life, but that person was someone I see as a son?! Did you consider, perhaps, that maybe your death would affect people? Your aunt?!Your friends?! Me?!" Tony said, anger building up as he seemed to tower over me.

I shrunk back, my eyes pricking with tears. "I'm sorry sir." Was the only thing I could seem to say.

Mr. Stark sighed, rubbing his temples. "You can't fight every battle alone. Asking for help is what you needed to do in this situation. Now, we're going to file this on issue 358 of Peter screws the pooch, and you're coming with me to rest and heal up, got it?"

I quickly said, "Y-you'd don't have to—"

"Too bad. You can't stop me kid." Tony said, his suit coming back on him. "Put your mask on, you are not swinging in this state."

I did as I was told, sticking on Mr. Starks back. We flew off, and I spent the next two days on house arrest in the tower.

... it was a long night, needless to say. But Mr. Starks words stuck with me. I gotta take better care of myself. I can't let my demons win and tell me I'm a burden, or what kind of hero would I be?

So when I arrived at my apartment, I saw May and said, "May? I feel sick. Can I stay home tomorrow if I don't feel good?"

May looked surprised, but her eyes softened and said, "Okay. As long as you keep up with your school work."

And I smiled, cause I knew I was making Mr. Stark proud.

————
950 words

I was gonna have May die, and the story would take a new path, but I decided not to, so you all can be happy :P

Larb you Webheads 3000! See you most likely after the weekend!

-🍎SiederTreeStudios🍎-