FORTY FIVE

Zayne

Bree and I arrived back at the Villa and I was mentally kicking myself for suggesting Ivan go with her to the waterfall. I must have looked upset because Bree chimed in on my internal struggle, "Dude, the whole thing with me being 'ill' was all planned out so you guys could go to the waterfall

alone." Eyes opening wide in shock. "What?" I asked, dumbfounded. She came up with a plan to get us alone. "We planned it from the beginning that I would have 'cramps' and I would need to be taken back to the Villa by Ivan and then you two would go on without us."

I fisted my hair in annoyance. "I am such an idiot," "Uh, duh! Could have told you that, but you gave Ivan the green light and now who knows what he will do when he's alone with her?" The words made my blood boil. I have been in love with Kenna for as long as I can remember. The simple thought of another man touching her angered me. First the dog who broke her heart, now this bloodsucker who will do whatever he wants to her. I cringed at the thought of them kissing again. Once was enough for me to witness. I need to go after her! "Hazel told me to stay away from her." "You're a grown ass adult, since when did you listen to that old woman, anyway?"

I was out the front door and headed back to the trailhead. I don't care what Hazel said. If she wants to be with me too, then it's a different story.

Walking through the rainforest, justifying what I wanted to do. No, what I needed to do. I just need to be straightforward with her, but will she feel the same about me? Is it too soon since she just broke up with someone else?

I stopped in my tracks. Indecisive about if I wanted to go forward or not. Pro, she could feel the same way I do. Con, she did not feel the same way.

Annoyed with myself for needing to make a pros and cons list, it should be an easy decision. I took a few more steps forward. But what if she was kissing him again? Could I handle the sight of it? I started walking slower towards the waterfall. I couldn't stop my mind from racing with all these questions. Forget it. I need to see what is happening and then I will know if she possibly feels the same way. It was a huge risk, but one I needed to take. Man, this is taking forever. Maybe I should just turn back before I get lost.

"IVAN!"

Oh, no! What if something bad happened? My heart raced at the thought of her being in danger again. I took off running towards the scream. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. What could have possibly happened? I could see the opening where the waterfall was, but as I got closer, I could hear laughter followed by a splashing of the water. I could see nothing, but my feet stopped me dead in my tracks. Do I want to know what they are doing? I wanted to move and yet my feet felt like they were stuck in cement and I could not move any closer.

I decided since I was getting nowhere, I would just turn around and wait for her at the Villa. Walking back almost seemed like it took longer than walking out to the waterfall. I jogged since I did not want to be left alone with my thoughts anymore. The villa was now in sight. My jog turned to a full sprint.

I walked in abruptly and Bree was sitting on the couch. "Back so soon?" Her eyebrows raised in surprise to see me. "Yeah, I couldn't bear the sight if I walked in on them kissing." "Oh, I doubt she would kiss him." "How do you know?" "The way she talked about you earlier." Surprised at her comment, I waited for her in my room. She has to come back soon, right?

Laying on my bed with my room window open, I can hear them talking outside. The front door opens, and they say goodnight. His what? Pet? V? What is happening? Hearing his room door shut, I decide I need to talk to her. I open my door and see her shutting hers. I walk quietly past Ivan's door to not be heard by him. Past the living room where I see

Bree passed out on the couch. Still moving forward, I stop at her door. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I lift my hand. I knock on her door lightly, hoping she would hear me and not wake anyone else in the house.

I hear her talking when she walks to the door; she opens it and her blonde hair is down and a mess around her face. Her hazel eyes were wide with surprise. I am standing here before her. "May I come in?" I ask in a whisper. She nods and moves so I can step inside without making too much noise. She shuts the door behind me and leans against it as I walk in further. "I am an idiot." I say not very quiet, thinking now I am in her room our conversation is more private.

I walked to her still leaning against the door, so close now our breathing deepened. Watching her chest go up and down I bent over and pressed my forehead against hers. My chest movements mirror hers, in total unison. My hand pressed against the door as if someone could push through it at any minute. "I'm an idiot. It should have been me that took you too that waterfall. Not the blood sucker." Trying to read what she was thinking, my eyes drifted from hers to her lips and back. Our faces inched closer.