THIRTY

Kenna

A few days had passed, and we made it stateside. Once we landed, both Hazel and Zayne took off to the shop to plant protectors in my life. Bree took me home to my family. We figured it was best to keep up the appearance of our school trip. They were happy to see me, and on our flight back, we made up a story of what we did while I was gone. I had been avoiding Axel since we got back. I didn't want to have to tell him about kissing another guy. It terrified me he would be upset even though it was for us getting out safely. We get ready for school today was dreadful, because I would have to see him at some point.

I hope that we can move past the kidnapping and be okay. I finish getting ready. There's a knock on my bedroom door. "Come in," I say as I'm putting on my earrings as a finishing touch on my outfit. In my mirror, Bree comes walking into my room. "Are you ready?" She asks, approaching me from behind. "About as ready as anyone can be after being held captive for three weeks." I pull down my sleeve, making sure where my injection in my arm, still a

little red, couldn't be seen.

-Ding-

Bree's phone goes off. She glances downward at her phone. I turn around and ask, "Is that Hazel?" "Yes, she is saying that she made plans for your protection in school." "Did she say who?" "No, but don't worry. I'm sure you will be safe." I grab my bag and we head for the door. Walking into the kitchen, my parents are eating breakfast. They are sitting holding hands while they each read a section of the paper. "We are off to school. Love you both," I blurt while grabbing an apple to avoid breakfast discussion. "Okay sweetheart, have a great day," my mom calls after us.

We hop into Bree's car, and she pulls out of the driveway. I figure it's best if she drives while I am still getting used to not being held captive. We pull into the school lot, Axel and Jake waiting at the front of the school. I take a deep breath because I don't know what to say. As we are walking towards the school, a black impala pulls up into the teacher parking.

I make eye contact with the driver as he gets out. He's wearing a gray suit with a blue tie. Makes his blue eyes pop. I enjoy looking at him all dressed up. He finally gets out and shuts the door behind him.

We step up onto the sidewalk in front of us. He glances down at me. I realize this whole time I was holding my breath.

Breathe Kenna

Breathe

I inhale deeply. He smells of old spice and car leather. I go weak in the knees as his cologne overwhelms me. I waver from going weak in the knees, but Bree catches my elbow. "Zayne? What are you doing here?" I stammer, as I am still a little light-headed.

"I work here now. Before classes start, I need to get to the office." He does a small bow and says

"ladies" and walks off. Still shocked he was here, Bree must have read my mind because she was already on the phone with Hazel.

"What is Zayne doing here!?" she yelled into her phone as we kept walking towards the school. I look ahead. Jake is waving at us when this skinny brunette walked up and throws her arms around Axel and plants a kiss on his lips. Um. What? It stops me in my tracks as Bree yells, "what the actual fuck? Who is this bitch?"

Axel pushes her off as we are standing next to the guys and says, "Lexii, we aren't dating. You broke up with me two years ago. I am dating Kenna now. You need to understand that." Axel pulls me to his side, as I am still trying to understand. She flips her long hair behind her shoulder and says, "that's not what it seemed like when we slept together three and a half weeks ago."

I step away from Axel and look up at him. She blows him a kiss and walks away, and he goes pale. "I-it's not what it seems like," he stammers as he reaches out for me. I step back, so he can't reach me as he is trying to grab me.

*RING*

"I don't have time for this right now." I turn to walk away and grab onto Bree as we head into the school. We walk to our first class. I am lucky it's

the same class because I can't walk right now. I feel as it has knocked out the wind of me. We sit at our desks, my head spinning with questions.

When did Axel's ex get back? Did they sleep together? Why would he even bother with me then? I felt so hurt and used by him. I was looking forward to seeing him, but now. Does he even want to be with me? I had to kiss someone else, but that was so we could escape. I reached up and touched the pendant with my finger.

I open my history book to the current lesson and the teacher walks in. I am looking down at my book, when I hear, "Good morning students, I am your new substitute teacher, Mr. Gray." I look up as my pencil drops to the floor. We make eye contact and my skin flushes as if on fire.