FIFTY THREE

Day of prom.

We are lucky our town takes school events so seriously. We get to have a half day for seniors. They decided a long time ago Seniors would be much more responsive to attending a half day of school so they can get everything they need done before the dance. Leaving we head over to Bree's place to get ready.

Getting out of the car walking to the house I look over at Bree, "I am totally starved so do you think we can order a pizza?" She laughs at me. "We can totally order a pizza, but only we can get bread sticks." This time we laugh together.

Music blasting, in her room we decide to make it like a party. Dancing while we get ready, we want this night to be fun and memorable. We dance around together laughing, doing makeup and hair. Sitting in front of her vanity we take turns getting ready. I do my make-up and she curls my hair. Singing along with the music, we hear the doorbell ring. Must be the pizza. Both of us with hair and makeup done, we don't want to answer the door in our corsets. We put on robes to answer the door.

We bring the food back to her room and see its already 4 o'clock. "We should eat and get dressed. The dance is at seven and we don't want to show up too late." She nods her head in agreement and we eat our dinner. I go into her closet and pull out heels for her dress, instead of the flats she originally picked out. She gives me a weird look, "Trust me Bree, these will make your dress and Jake will regret letting you go." Smiling at me she slips into her dress and then puts the heels on. "Now your turn." Bree says walking to her closet. She emerges with another set of heels. They are a perfect match to my dress. We finish getting dressed and get ready to leave.

The dance is in a warehouse that has been refurbished. They do many events, like weddings. The place is decorated beautifully and with hanging chandeliers. We make our way inside and take photos before entering the room with the dancefloor. Stopping just outside the doors we stare at them in suspense. I look over at Bree, "Let's get this party on."

With that we push through the doors and the room is beautiful. Walking in slowly, we try not to draw to much attention. First thing I try not to see is that Axel is here with Lexii. We move to the other side of the room because next to them is Jake with some other girl. Only from what I can tell is he is practically drooling at the sight of Bree.

On the side of the room I can see Ivan who was recruited for working the event. He is keeping an eye on the punch bowl. We make our way over to get drinks. Ivan hands us both a glass, but he doesn't look away from me. He leans in close to me and says, "You my dear, look simply breath taking." I blush at his words and smile. Trying not to draw eyes we move away from the area to not seem suspicious.

There are chaperons walking around to make sure we all behave and one of them is Zayne. I still don't know how he qualifies as one because he is only a few years older than us. Bree and I chat on the side and he makes his way over to us. "Ladies." He says to both of us. We lock eyes and I can see this cloud of hunger in them. "You look gorgeous." He says quietly so no one can hear him.

Turning and walking away from us Bree chimes in, "well you have two men who adore you." She hip checks me and we both giggle. "Your one to talk. Jake hasn't been able to take his eyes off you ever since you walked in." She looks over at him but doesn't let her eyes linger. "I hope he realizes the mistake he made." She says back to me. Looking over at them she also sees Axel standing close to him. "Let's just have fun and forget about them." I nod in agreement and we make our way to the dance floor.

Dancing in the middle of the crowd we literally have stopped caring. We move like no one is watching with big smiles on our faces. Lost in the music, we sway back and forth. Something makes a loud pop and the lights go out.

Before anyone can make a move, windows are crashing. People start screaming and I look around to see that vamps are taking over and biting people. I start casting to heal people to get them out of here. Ivan is pulling the vamps off people and snapping their necks. I can feel power surging in me, but it's not enough to stop all of them. Zayne is fighting them off as well and trying to help me in casting.

While fighting we hear another crash, but this time it's werewolves charging. The only problem is I thought it would be Axel and Jake helping us, but instead they were helping the vamps. I start casting again to try to stop them. I make eye contact with one of the wolves, I know its Axel. He looks at me different somehow. Almost not like himself, but he starts to charge me. I want to reason with him, not fight him.

I cast a shield on myself so he can't hurt me. I continue fighting, moving to help others while evading Axel. I cast to help others keep escaping from this mess. Axel still comes at me as if he doesn't recognize me anymore. He is strong as a wolf, making it hard for me to keep fighting him off. He barrels past people and gets closer to me and we start to fight. He tries to bite at me but I avoid his teeth. He pushes me and I fall back hard, only to get up as I try to cast again.

Exhausted from casting I try to keep up the pace, but I am not strong enough. In the middle of casting another spell I hear a scream, looking over I see Bree.

Everything moving in slow motion I see a vampire sucking at her neck and she drops to the floor. "NO!" I shout and Ivan deals with the wolf he has been fighting and makes his way to the vamp and rips his neck.

Without realizing I dropped my concentration on my casting spell which causes me to be vulnerable. Axel moves quickly and jumps at me causing us to fall backwards through a glass window.

Laying on a brisk floor where my body grew colder, and my fingers became soaked in a red thick wet liquid. Chocking, gasping for air, and blood ran out of my mouth. Tasting of scorched iron as I struggled to ignore falling through the glass window. The last thoughts raced through my mind; she can't be dead. Warm tears overflowed to my cold cheeks. My rose-pink prom dress is now shredded and changing into a deep wine red from my blood. I can feel it seeping out of me and I know this is the end. My death.

My eyelids get heavier and I see Zayne by my side. His words are muffled as he strokes my hair back out of my face. I close my eyes and it seems like forever before I open them one last time. I see a white light shining bright and I close my eyes again. Thinking this is the end and I couldn't save everyone. Slowly everything becomes heightened, my senses overwhelmed by this new power. How can this be? Blood was just spilling out of me; I can't still be alive. My body is heavy when I try to move it.

I can finally open my eyes, I look over to see Bree's lifeless body. Something inside me snaps. I scream. Unleashing this overwhelming power. Moving over to her in this almost fog. Vamps try to attack me, and I look at them. With just a flick of my hand they are flung back far against the wall. I kneel at her side and I begin to cry, full of anger I look around and see Vamps and Wolves still trying to attack. I slowly get off the ground and begin casting a spell, not even sure I know what I am doing.

My emotions have taken over, looking at my hands as they move quickly before me are unrecognizable. If they have been dipped in a black paint with cracks of a glowing purple. Finishing the spell I am casting sets off such a surge of power causing everything in is path to be thrown. Tossing everyone away, to try and stop the fighting. In the rage, I start to kill the vamps.

Crushing them with a wave of my hand. I see Axel and even more enraged I look at him and when he starts to charge at me I instantly throw him against a wall with a movement of my hand and the sound of a loud crack.

I move over to where Bree's body is laying. I pick her up and start crying uncontrollably. Holding her close to me because I can't believe she is dead. Zayne makes his way over to me slowly. Kneeling next to me he says, "I unlocked your last seal. You have all your magic." Not caring I sit and weep. My body trembling with unease. He puts a hand on my shoulder and says, "There is a way to save her."

TO BE CONTINUED...