SEVEN

Kenna

"Your tests came back fine, Mr. Jones. You seem to have a few bumps and scratches, but you are lucky you don't have broken bones from your accident." A rough smile spread across my face as I lifted my arm and rubbed the back of my neck. "Yeah, I guess I'm kind of lucky." I hopped off the exam table and grabbed my jacket. The jacket was in my hand. I reached down for my phone. Out of my pocket, looking at the blaring screen, several missed calls.

6 missed calls from Jake 4 missed calls from Bree

"What the fuck" escaped from my lips. My heart jumped into overdrive as I called back Bree. My hand trembled, waiting for her to answer. "Hey, so something happened. You need to stay at the hospital," Bree said in a painful tone. Jake said in the background, and he wouldn't stop saying sorry. I clenched my jaw and the knuckles around my phone went white.

"What happened?" I said with a growl. Bree took a deep breath. "Well, we went to Kenna's house to tell her what happened because we didn't want her to think you stood her up when you slid off your bike. Before we gave any more details, she was getting on Jake's bike."

"I'm so sorry, man," he whimpered. Bree continued, "There was a drunk driver." "Where are you?" I growled and walked towards the main hospital lobby. "We are over in ICU. She got seen by a doctor, and we are waiting for news. She may need surgery," Bree said with a crack of despair in her voice.

My walk turned into a sprint. My mind was racing, and I didn't want to believe this was happening. I turned the corner, Jake sitting with his face in his hands. My heart dropped as I walked towards Bree, who was standing with what I assumed were Kenna's parents. I took a deep breath and approached them as Bree introduced me. "Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong, this is Axel." I gulped hard, like trying to swallow a rock as they both watched me. Her mom had been crying and her dad's jaw clenched.

"I am sorry this happened, and I plan on staying by her side until she recovers. Any word from the doctor?"

"Not yet." My heart ached, and a doctor came out. We all held our breath. "Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong?" "Yes," they replied in unison. "She has a few broken ribs, and the accident shattered her right arm. She also has internal bleeding. With your permission, we would like to operate now." Her mom collapsed into Kenna's dad and cried. Her Dad replied, "Yes, do what you can to save my daughter." The doctor headed back to operate. Puzzled, I glanced over at Bree, and we walked over to a private area.

"What happened? How come you didn't protect her?" "I don't know. When I hugged her, I was enchanting her earrings because she is impulsive." She grabbed her phone and dialed. "Who are you calling?" "Hazel, because I don't understand why my enchantment didn't work. It's supposed to protect any human." She walked away talking, and I went over to Jake and sat down. He glanced up at me, "I am so sorry man, this drunk driver ran the intersection, and I wasn't ready for it." I patted his shoulder. "This is not your fault," taking a deep breath. "How are your injuries?"

"You know we heal fast. My injuries were gone before I got here. He nodded, and I gave him a side hug and Bree waved us back over to her. "What did she say?" I asked. Bree stalled before saying, "The spell should have worked on anyone, but when I said Kenna's name, that's when the conversation got weird."

"What do you mean weird?" now even more puzzled. "Kenna is special. She is the chosen one." My eyes widened, and she continued saying, "It means since birth, she is to become something great." She took a deep breath because the next words to come out of her mouth shook my world. "It means she isn't human."

Her words vibrated through my ears and were stuck in my head. One thing I didn't understand is if she wasn't human, then where was her mark? The thoughts rolled through my mind. I wondered; I guess I haven't seen her whole body. As soon as she wakes up, I must go to Alister. Maybe he will explain everything. Footsteps approached, and a doctor was standing with her parents.