EIGHTEEN

Kenna

"Does that mean I have one?" I couldn't help reach my hand to touch my neck. Zayne had moved back over across from me to put his clothes back on. My eyes watched his movements; almost like magnets being drawn to him. "Yes, you have one. We all do." He finishes getting dressed and my eyes go back over to Hazel after what she said.

"Wait, so you are all witches?"

"I am the only full witch like you. Bree and Zayne are only half, but still as powerful."

"What does half mean?" "Well, Bree is half-witch and half-mermaid." Looking over at her, she smiles. "As for Zayne, he is half-witch and half Angel." "Oh, that explains a lot."

I put my hand over my mouth, realizing that I said it out loud. I can sense his icy blue stare while I avert my eyes.

"Being a full witch, is that why I am a royal?"

"Yes. You are the future Queen of Istradella and you are extra special because you have more power than all witches combined." Future Queen. A mouthful to think I am supposed to rule an entire realm.

"Wait, I don't have my full powers. If we can't unlock them, does that mean Istradella is doomed?"

"Not quite." Hazel continued to explain, "We may have found a way to unlock your seal. You have to learn different spells and once you master them, there are different tasks you have to complete, releasing your power. Five different tasks to be exact and if done correctly, you won't die, but if you fail, it is always a possibility."

"Okay, no pressure." My heart begins to race as I realize what is happening.

"However, you can't start until your eighteenth birthday."

"Wait, why is that?"

"It is known a witch is in her prime on her 18th birthday."

Now seeming more defeated by this because my birthday is not for several months. I sighed now, looking upset. My birthday isn't until Spring and it is only October. How is that helpful?

"Kenna dear, why do you look sad? I thought you would be happy to start."

"Hazel, my birthday is so far away. What am I supposed to do until then? You told me I am to be a future Queen and this awesome witch, but I have to wait months to do anything about it."

Her eyebrows drew together in a puzzling expression. She replies, "Honey, that was a birthday they gave you when you were taken. It was to help keep you hidden." "When is my birthday, then?"

"October 31st." "Halloween. My birthday is on

Halloween. Isn't that a little ridiculous? Are you sure?"

"Sorry kiddo," Zayne chimes in. I rolled my eyes at his comment. I am not some young kid. "Okay, so if my birthday is October 31st, that's in like 4 days."

"We need to get things in order for your birthday and keep an eye on Axel. Him being part of that wolf pack who hunted you down all those years ago, we need to be ready if they make a move."

"I'll join her back in the normal realm. I am supposed to guard the royal family, after all, so it only seems fit." Zayne chimes in again.

"How could he possibly fit in somewhere? He is bound to stand out, besides my family would be suspicious if I was hanging out with an older man."

"I'm not that much older than you. I am 22, so I am sure I could get a job somewhere to help me blend in."

"Yes!" Hazel exclaims as she jumps to her feet, startling all of us.

"I know of the perfect job for him and it will keep him close to you at the most important part of the day."

Oh, boy. I can only imagine where this is headed. We wrapped up having tea. Suddenly I realize that so much time has passed, and I have yet to reach out to my parents. I jump up and go into a full panic mode,

"Oh no, I haven't called my parents! What if they are worried where I am?" I grab my stuff and head to the door, not realizing where I am. "Kenna!" Bree shouts, and she rushes to my side, trying to stop me. I reach for the door and the deadbolt twist before I can open it.

Forgetting where I was, I almost just ran out of here, causing everyone even more issues. "Oh gosh, guys, I am sorry. I am just worried about my parents." Hazel comes over and hugs me. "It's okay dear, the time difference here won't affect them as you think.

What feels like hours here has only been a few minutes there." I take a deep breath to calm my nerves.

She looks over at Zayne and says, "We better take off anyway, and we have a few things we need to set up before her birthday and you join us in the other realm."