•a m e e r a & m a h e r • (✔️)

She was lost in colors. Colors. They were bright. They were glittery. They were iridescent. Then they were fiery. They were ablaze. And some were dark. They were deep. They were grey. They were ashy. Life was defined in colors. From the blue of the emotions to the streaks of orange and pink that sun left behind at the fall of each day. But her favorite was white.

Was white even a color? Or was it an absence of color? She didn't care. Everyone had their own definition and she didn't bother with any of them. To her, it was a state in which she relied on. It was a color she could leave imprints of other colors.

"Ameera, Khuda ke liye us meesne ki jaan chor do aur uth jao." Her mother's voice rang through the hallway.

"Ameera!!! Meesne!!!" Her jaw dropped as the small green parrot echoed her mother's words in bits.

"Ami ne sun liya na to tumhari yeh saari attitude nachor ke Bubble ko khila dein gi." She pushed the fallen strand behind her ear.

"Bubble! Nahi! Bubble! Nahi!"  The brightly colored bird flew up and sat on the curtain rod. She placed her paint brushes in the cup and turned around.

The winter sun was bright like a radiant sky. The golden rays found their refuge all around her in the sun room, warming her cold veins. She closed her eye, feeling the sunshine on her skin.

"Ameera!"

She tightened her eyes as the name echoed again. Inhaling the fresh wave of air, she stood up. Leaving behind her paints even for few minutes was the fear she could never come to terms with. This was her safe haven, beyond this door the world became suffocating for her.

She made her way to the kitchen, where the table was set for five with lavish food of all sorts of specialities. From Pakistani, to Mediterranean, to Italian with French Pastries for dessert. Her ordinary tray of white jasmine rice and Aalu ka salan was getting overshadowed.

She moved like a quiet mouse, finding her corner as the stage for the rare Qureshi Family's Dinner. The one she downright loathed. She put her elbows on the extremely pristine and expensive piece of tempered glass dinning table. She clasped her hands and leaned on them as she passionately waited for the highly regarded members of Qureshi family.

She was observing the dishes from left to right. From one end to the other. One minute went by. The kebabs must be in the foil. The garlic Naan was going to taste like rubber if it god cold. Another minute went bye. Was that shrimp scampi. Her throat almost closed up, making her wanted to gag.

"Ameera khaana bhale acha na lage, pr rizq ki izzat phir bhi karna. Aaj naseeb mein hai, shayes kal isi rizq ke liye tarasna pare"

Nani's voice made her retreat action. She mumbled in forgiveness. Five minutes went by. The steaming hot food was now reaching the level of warm. She blinked at it.

"Good Evening Meeru."

It was rather the unusual noise of the chair on the fuzzy carpet that made her turn around. Rizwan placed his phone on the side as he took his seat. Not that he was expecting a reply back, she gave him a half-smile.

Her eyes fell on his shirt. She was wearing a plain grey shirt. Oh no. That was not just grey. She leaned a little. Squinting. Remembering the shades of grey. Was that a ghost grey or silver smoke? She blinked quite a few times. It leaned more towards silver smoke grey. She nodded to herself.