1

She was tracing the blurring trees out the window as Eli drove towards the drive-in. The music was her companion as it played softly in the car while her friends were engrossed in their own conversation. For some reason her nerves were calm. She knew it was something to do with the scent of cologne that the person next to her wore.

She closed her eyes and breathed in the balmy scent of oud. Very different from the men around her home wore. Maybe it was that moment too. Back home she could probably never breathe without some kind of danger or suffocation always looming around. She'd give anything to live this simple car ride over and over. To be in a car, eyes closed, a breath of relief, without bodyguards, shootings, blown tires, and guns. People took simple peace for granted.

"Farah!" Eli's voice shook her out of her own world.

"Huh?" She opened her eyes. Confused, she looked ahead. "What?" She questioned him.

"I've literally called you like ten times." She rolled her eyes and shook her head. She knew he was exaggerating. "I just wanted to know how you feeling now and what did the doctor say?"

At that moment, the person to her right turned towards her. His scorching gaze on her. She didnt want to turn and face him so she stayed in her place.

"Nothing serious. Just Anemia." She shrugged her shoulders as if it was nothing, but she knew why she had it. Her body had lost a lot of blood over time and it was finally showing up.

There was so much a mortal body of hers could take. If it wasn't physical torture, it was mental. If it wasn't mental, it was guilt. Guilt so heavy that it was eating at her soul.

How do you find peace when there is so much blood on your hands. Your own best friend's blood. Being born with a heart amongst the people whose chest carried stones instead was a punishment in itself. Her body carried the warmth of sun while their veins were filled with cold blood. Her heart was on the wrong side figuratively and literally.

They reached the drive in as Eli parked the truck and both Zara and him left to get snacks. Leaving her alone with one man she swore to never be in a vicinity of. The fixed the blanket in the back of the truck and sat in each corner. Leaving as much space they could.

Between them was silence so heavy that it started stinking of their past. The many times they came across. Face splattered with blood. Hands clasped around guns. Bodies smelling of gun powder. Who was going to get the last kill? The game has been going on since centuries.

"How do you deal with it?" She whispered.

The first time her words left her lips voluntarily to talk to him.

He turned towards her. His eyes morphing into a pool of black ink. Their souls. Their eyes. Their fate. Everything was cold and dark.

"I don't."

Her raven black hair falling on her face as she tried to make sense of what he said. The color of her hair matching the doom of their fate.

"When you're born in hell, you learn to play to with fire and master the art of burning others while saving yourself." He pulled up his knee and put a hand on it as he stared at the blank screen. "Why did you ask?"

"Because the time is closing in on me." She pulled her jacket around her tight as the breeze made her shiver. "I feel like my own sword will slit my throat."

"What's eating you?" He glanced at her. There was something unsetlling about the way his hair were always set perfectly no matter what. The same since she had seen him when they were six.

"Guilt."

"Since when?" He raised his eyebrow as if he was surprised.

"Since the first time I pulled the trigger."

"You've been living with it since that long?" His eyes slightly widening.

"You don't feel guilty?" She tucked the stray lock of her hair behind her ear and his eyes flashed with something before glancing away.

"I needed to survive so I set my conscience on fire."

"Why are you running away from home so far then?"

He stayed frozen, playing with the tooth pick he always carried.

"Why are you here, Ibrahim?"

She sucked in her breath. He flashed his eyes at her. The silence between them sinister. She wasn'r scared. No, fear never existed for them. They were born with war written in their fate and blessed with blood. Fear had no space.

"To kill you."

She leaned back against the railing of the car. His words not wavering, but they were cold and revenge that was ordered by their families.

"Why haven't you?"

"Because I'm in love with you."

She turned her head so fast that she almost got a whiplash. His eyes trained on her. His words scared her. Everything in their world had a chance except love. You killed what you loved. You rip it apart and cut the roots of it so it wont make you weak.

And those who dared... they were six feet under in a casket. She knew it. She had seen it. She had put flowers on her sisters grave who dared to fall in love and now she was gone.

"Since when?" Her words trembled.

"Since you shot me the first time in high school!"

Fuck. They had conversation. Turned in to confrontation. The news traveled and next thing she knew their families were in a war. Guns were drawn. Blood was shed. People were buried and she had shot him. Because she knew if anyone else took a shot at him, they'd kill him and she had purposely missed. Staring in his eyes. Hiding her pain and pulling the trigger. Missing it by mere inch above his heart. Because she was in love with a devil. And the devil was standing in front of her.

_________
👀👀👀