➣ twenty-seven.

Mulai dari awal

I looked up, watching as Harley and Uma served themselves some cake and sat down to eat. Then, Mal came over to me and sat down by my side.

You know what it's doing to you, Freddy, she said through our link. You need to take it off.

We used our link around our friends quite often nowadays, so I wasn't surprised that Mal was using it now. But I was surprised because this time, she sounded muffled and distant, almost as if she was speaking through a wall or was shouting from far away — even though she was right next to me.

I will, I told her. When this is over.

Mal looked at me, shaking her head in obvious defeat. Then she stood up and walked over to Uma.

"That was a really good idea," Mal said to her. "To check Audrey's room. Now we know that we're on the right track."

Uma looked up at her in surprise. "Is there an insult in there that I missed?"

Mal smiled and shook her head. "Just... I wanted to thank you."

Uma continued to stare at her, clearly still surprised, as Mal sat down across from her and cut a piece of cake for herself.

"I'm gonna go check on Evie," Harley said, putting her fork down on her finished plate. "Celia, wanna come with?"

Celia shook her head. "Not really." When Celia looked up and saw the look Harley was giving her, realization suddenly dawned on her face, and she quickly corrected herself, "Never mind, I do. Let's go."

The two then got up and left without another word.

I couldn't help but smile at them. Then, I stood up and walked over to Mal before sitting beside her.

"I don't know whose birthday it is, but I want this cake," Uma said as she ate.

Mal chuckled, staying silent for a moment before she said, "So, I maybe kind of missed the boat a little bit on calling you Shrimpy and not letting you join the gang."

Uma nodded. "Yeah. We really could've torn up the Isle together."

Mal just smiled, swiping off a dab of frosting with her finger and popping it into her mouth. Uma and I both chuckled at her actions, amused by her silliness.

But then, out of nowhere, a wooden board suddenly slammed against the door outside. Mal, Uma, and I whipped our heads around to look at it, only to have more appear out of thin air and board up the entire house.

"Celia!" Uma shouted as we stood up, hoping for a response from the young girl.

"We're trapped!" came Celia's reply, and seconds later she ran up to us and careened herself into Uma's arms.

That's when Harley, Evie, and Doug came running in, just as alarmed as we were.

"Are you guys okay?" Evie asked. "What's going on?"

"It's Audrey!" I said. "She knows we're here!"

At my words, Mal stepped forward and stuck out her hands, her eyes glowing green as she commanded, "You've caused my friends pain and fear. We've had enough, now disappear!"

We waited for the wooden boards to go away, but nothing happened.

"You guys, I'm sorry," Mal said. "My spells aren't working. Audrey's magic is getting stronger."