16.

KJ

"Okay Mr. Gaulden, it looks to be a little build up of cerebral edema. Edema is another term for fluid build up. In your case, edema is building around the brain causing intracranial pressure or swelling, this is why you've had the migraines. Plus, extra stress doesn't help either. I'll push for you to have immediate surgery at my private clinic" he pulled out a black book "I can actually arrange for it today. Is today okay? Or you need a little more time?"

"TODAY!" Safari, Kari, mom, and I yelled

Dr. Broussard smiled "today it is"

Dad nodded weakly, I could look at him and tell he was weak and tired.

"Well, Mr. Gaulden, I can have you set up for surgery in 2 hours. I will give you time to be with your family now. See you soon."
Kari walked Dr. Broussard to the door and mom took a deep breath.

"Everything's gone be alright mom" I said rubbing her back.

She smiled "I know baby. I just hate seeing him like this."

"But the first step is getting help, he's getting that. We just need to support him and stick close to each other." Safarii said.

I nodded.

Mom smiled "I'm so proud of my babies. Y'all are being so mature about this."

"That's that Gaulden blood" dad said in a low voice

We all laughed.

"Dad, how you feel about the surgery? I know we kind of pushed it on you." Kari said

"Yeah, y'all did" he laughed "but as long as I'm here to be with my kids and wife. I'll do anything."

"And what about your mom?" Grandma said walking in

"Grandma!" Safarii ran in her arms

"Ma, what I told you about knocking?" Dad said

"Boy hush" she said waving him off "me and Dax talked to Dr. Broussard and I wanted to be here to help with you and the kids, especially considering missy here is pregnant. Which I had to find out through Dax. What's up with y'all and these damn secretes now?"

"Gina, I apologize, we weren't keeping it away intentionally it's just so much been going on we forgot." Mom said

"Apology accepted"

I shook my head and chuckled at her pettiness.

"Well let's watch some tv" Kari said directing the awkwardness. Mom and grandma are two firecrackers that we didn't need firing off.

Everyone sat around laughing and talking while watching Martin, even dad. We felt like a normal family for once.

The women went off to get ready to head to Dr. Broussard's small clinic where the procedure will take place. I sat beside dad on the couch watching tv but my head was in other places.

"Son"

"Yea?" I looked over at dad

"I know we've been caught up with this mafia shit but you need to get back in the studio."

I raised an eyebrow, I didn't even think he cared about my passion for music.

"Dad.. I don't know. With all this going on I don't think I want to rap anymore."

"I said the same thing when I was your age. I wanted to play football and go pro but my real dad pushed me and my brother into the game at a very young age. We didn't have a choice to be a kid. We were forced to sell drugs. I don't want that for you, I wanted you to enjoy your childhood for as long as you could. That's why I hid this lifestyle from y'all. Even though you want to be a part of the cartel but don't lose sight of your passion. Never."

I nodded my head.

"That song 38 baby. I fucks wit' it." He said

I laughed "I didn't know you listen to my songs dad"

He smiled, "I may not say anything but I pay attention to my kids."

I smiled

"KJ, I'm proud of you for being the man of the house while I'm down. That shows me I did something right, if nothing else."

"No problem dad. I just need you to fight. We can't lose you."

"I'm putting up my best. I have to be here to see my kids grown" He said smiling "and see my son rapping on tv with Nicki fine ass"

"Kevin, don't think because you ill I won't beat your ass." Mom said

I looked over and laughed.

"Alright, everyone ready?" Grandma asked coming downstairs

We nodded and walked to the door grandma's personal driver helping dad get in her Escalade. The ride to the clinic was quiet but comfortable. Mom and dad held hands and whispered sweet nothings the whole time. I smiled, seeing them all lovey-dovey made me want to try harder to get NeNe back. I decided to shoot her a text.

Me:
Jania, I love u so much baby. Please text me back. I can't apologize enough and I know that no matter how much I say I'm sorry I can't take it back. But baby please believe me. I didn't fuck that girl, I would never stick my dick in that hoe. I swear. I wanna be with you.

Ten minutes passed and she didn't text back. The drive to Dr. Broussard was a 35 minutes. I checked my phone again, still seeing no text. I throw my hood over my head out of frustration and put my iPods in. I knew once we left the clinic I needed to go see NeNe.