11.

KEVIN

I looked at the clock, 12:33am. Where the fuck KJ at?
"Baby, come to bed." Patience said patting my side of the bed.

"Na babe. I need to talk to some sense into KJ and I'm taking him with me to gym in the morning. He needs to learn some self discipline." I lied

"Ok babe. Do what you have to do just don't hurt my baby."

"Never. It's my job to protect y'all." I said kissing her lips softly.

I heard the front door open and left out my bedroom. I walked downstairs and seen KJ walk in with Kari behind him. "Hey dad" Kari said and darted upstairs.

I raised an eyebrow "your sister ok? I thought she was staying the night at a friends?"

"Um. Yeah she good. They just got into it and she decided to come home." He said

I nodded not believing it but decided to let it go for now.
"Go to my office and I'll meet you there." I said.

He nodded and walked away. I watched him disappear then walked into the kitchen. I grabbed a blue Gatorade and opened the medicine cabinet. I reached way to the back and pulled out my mannitol medication. I found out last week I had swelling around my brain. I been taking medication for it 3 days a week until my next follow up appointment next week. I didn't tell anyone because I don't want anyone to worry about me.

I washed the tablet down and rested my head in my hands. I said a silent prayer asking God to keep me here long enough to watch my kids become adults. I wiped away a stray tear and took a deep breath.

I opened the door to my office and spotted KJ laying down on the sofa texting. "Son" he sat up and walked over to my desk. "Your grandmother came to the house today and told your mom you are selling drugs for Dax." His face changes to a shocked then sad expression.

"Don't worry, I covered for her. Told her I'll talk to you and take you under my wing. As far as she's concerned I'm mentoring you and watching your moves. Which is good because we can move on with this operation easier." I looked up to see him deep in his phone.
"Son? You listening?" He sat his phone down and licked his lips.

"My bad dad"

"What's wrong? Talk to me."

He sighed "I went to that party.. well it was this girl there and she wanted to fuck me and D.C.; We never fucked, and she only gave me head when someone bussed in and took a picture of me and sent it around. I got all in her face and pulled my gun out and threatened her to tell her homegirl to delete the picture. Now the girl tryna claim I raped her then NeNe found out and shit."

I shook my head "KJ, I told you to stay away from that fuckin' party."

"I know dad but how was I suppose to know this was going to happen. I got niggas wanting my head now. I have to protect myself."

My eyes bucked "give me names. We don't need this girl going to the police either. She could bring us all down."

"Her name is Kimberly Owens the nigga is Rashawn Bennett."

"Wait, that boy Kari likes and her best friend?" I asked

He nodded.

"Fuuuccckkk KJ! That boy daddy is who owns half of the south side! Aka Dax's business partner."

He looked down like he sad "I fucked up dad. Shawn's dad and Kim's mom is dating now. But I heard they out of town until next week. That's how they threw the party."

"You damn right you fucked up! And if she told everyone that you raped her I'm sure that trip got cut short. He's planning how to come for our heads now! Shit! Let me call Dax. Just go to bed KJ, we have a early morning." I said shooting Dax a text.

"I'm sorry dad." He said

"KJ, I just need you to think smarter son. That's all. Everything you do now affects the women in our family now and your mom is pregnant now. She doesn't need the stress. That's why I'm keeping all this shit away from her, she'll have a heart attack if she knew I'm a Mafia King now."

"What? Mom pregnant?"

I nodded. He smiled then frowned "eww. Y'all old asses still be hunching?"

"Boy get the hell out of here" I laughed

He chuckled and closed the door behind him. Soon as he closed the door I pushed my chair back and threw up in the small trash can under my desk.

When KJ told me about what happened to him tonight I caught a headache. The smallest things give me headaches now. The doctors said it was because of stress they also said excessive stress is what enlarged the fluid on my brain.

I reached in my drawer and took some medicine to ease my headache. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I prayed again God please remove this pain.