19.1 Castle

The low scrape of stone on stone grumbled through the hallway. Dust swirled as the floor tile was shoved slowly to the side, disturbed for the first time in nearly a century. Blue eyes peered over the edge of the hole, silently surveying the hallway. The hall was silent. Nothing moved; not the air, not the dust, not a single demon.

"We're good," Kjell whispered. He climbed out of the hole and reached down. A plump hand grabbed his, and Vivi hoisted herself up with a grunt.

Behind her, Niina jumped nimbly up to the surface level. Her hair bristled. She glanced left and right, then narrowed her eyes. "Smells like demon."

"It's the castle," Kjell said flatly.

Vivi snorted.

Niina leveled them both with a stare. "We must be on our guard."

Kjell waved her down. "I've got the Demon-Killing Sword. What's there to fear?"

They wandered through the hallways. Kjell led the way, Vivi huddled in the middle, and Niina followed in the back, head on a swivel.

"Did someone steal the rug?" Kjell joked, gesturing at the floor. A wide swathe of floor had been wiped clean, free of dust. It wandered off ahead of them and back behind them, around the corner and out of sight.

Frowning, Niina stared back behind them. "It's not right. Where are all the demons?"

"Maybe the rumors were exaggerated," Kjell offered with a shrug. "I've never been to the castle before, have you?"

Her frown deepened. Niina said nothing.

Their footsteps echoed in the empty hall. The only light came from narrow arrow slits, leaving the interior dim, except for where sharp, bright lines were drawn against the wall. Kjell kept a hand near his hip as he walked, fingers tracing both his sword and the Demon-Killing Sword. Niina was right. There was something about this place. An unspoken tension in the air. A expectant quality to the silence. The hairs on the back of his neck wouldn't stand down. He found himself walking softly, though in the quietude of the hallway, even careful steps sounded loud. Why am I afraid? There's no demons. And yet he didn't take his hand off his swords.

"I think... hmm," Vivi said loudly.

Kjell jumped and glared at her. How could she be so loud? Didn't she feel the tension?

Her face was buried in the blueprints. The papers crinkled as she shook them out and tilted them to get a better look. "Yes, just up ahead. Down to the left, there should be a doorway..."

"Shh," Niina whispered gently.

"Oh!" Vivi glanced from one to another, a caught look on her face. "Sorry!"

Kjell motioned for her to take the lead. Vivi scurried to the front of the group, consulted the blueprints again, and led the way through a door.

They filed through a grand hall. Huge tables stood askew, benches bowled over and abandoned. Any plates or cups had long since vanished in the hands of earlier scavengers. A huge fireplace dominated the far end of the hall. Nearer them, a pair of chairs that had long since been stripped of any embellishments laid toppled atop a low dias. Tapestries that might have been glorious a hundred years ago lined the walls between wide windows. Kjell reached out and shook one. A piece of dry fabric came out in his hand. Shards of cloth joined the dust on the floor.

"Nothing worth scavenging here," he muttered.

Niina's head swiveled. She darted across the floor as smooth as a dancer on the stage and came to a halt by the fireplace. "Someone's been here," she said.

Hurrying over, Kjell found her pointing at an iron bracket. It held fire pokers, rakes; the usual accompaniments to a large fireplace. "Do you smell something?" he asked.

Niina nodded. "You don't?"

With a grunt, Kjell turned away. Niina had been far gone to miasma before he'd ever met her. It only got worse with every passing year. On the upside, it meant her senses were much keener than the average human's, and her magic was as strong as any half-demon's could be. On the downside... his hand slid to the Demon-Killing Sword. It wouldn't be long before her demonic nature got the better of her.

She scratched between her horns and huffed out. "Someone's been here," she repeated. "Be on your guard."

Kjell couldn't help a small smirk. For today, that demonic nature was repressed. It'd be a year or so yet before he had to worry.

Or... you could take the whole prize for yourself.

"What's the hold-up?" Vivi asked, bumping his shoulder.

"Nothing, nothing," Kjell said. "Come on." He followed Niina out into the hallway.

"The treasury is right up ahead," Vivi whispered. Then she bumped into Niina with an "oof!"

Confused, Kjell glanced at Niina. She pointed directly ahead. Slowly, he followed her arm, down to the finger, down the hallway. And then he smirked.

"Come back to join us?"Kjell called.

Huginn stood in front of a huge metal door. He held a fire poker down at his side, clenched tight in his hand. His white coat was smeared with something brown and clumpy that smelled a lot like—Kjell raised his eyebrows. "Did you roll around in—what are you, a dog?"

"Hand over the Demon-Killing Sword," Huginn demanded. He raised the poker over his shoulder, ready to swing.

Niina raised her bow, an arrow already notched.

Casually, Kjell drew his sword; the one with a blade, not the Demon-Killing one. He held it loosely, not yet ready to fight. "Hugh, come on. What's this about? Did that girl poison your mind? Is love in the air?" He shook his head. "Come join the winning side. I have the sword. You can hold it, touch it, kiss it, whatever you want. Just give up on that little freak and come back."

A disgusted expression crossed over Huginn's face. "I'm not in love, she's my..." He sighed and raised the pipe. "Hand over the sword now. Last chance."

"Last chance or what?" Kjell asked. He raised his sword lazily. Huginn was no threat. It would be nothing to put the kid down if he had to. "What's that, a poker? Do you really think you can win?"

Niina adjusted her aim.

Huginn glanced at Kjell, then swung the poker. It slammed into the door. Metal resonated on metal, as loud as a gong.

In the distance, something hissed.