13.3 Pass

Muninn stood slowly. Water dripped from her body to plink-plink-plunk in the pool, loud in her ears. She backed toward the shore. With every step, she scanned the pool, the reeds, the waterfall. The water was placid. The reeds were still. In the distance, she could hear Niina and Vivi giggling, oblivious to the danger nearby. Where did he go?

A dark shadow loomed up behind her. "I am Odin. Remember the name of your death."

Water flew as Muninn leaped back, deeper into the pool. The black-clad man stood on the pool's edge, facing her at last. The faceplate of his helmet was featureless, completely smooth. There were no holes for his eyes, no place for him to breathe. Above the hinge of the faceplate, spaced in the gap between the tips of the ram's horns, a metal grate in the shape of an eye gazed down at her. Cold and impassive, he stepped into the pool. Although his clothes billowed where they met the water, no ripples spread from his legs.

The forest began to rattle. Muninn whipped around, startled by the noise. Leaves trembled. Branches shook. There were no demons that she could see, but something was making the trees move. She backed away slowly.

"Hand over that sword, and you will be spared." Odin extended his hand.

Muninn looked at him, then at the sword. It was just a stub. A broken, ruined stub. There was barely a blade. She couldn't fight. She'd never learned how to properly use a sword, let alone a broken one. Why am I even trying?

She took a step, halted. No. But why not? Everything could be over. I could go home. Another step forward. His hand was right there, so close. It wouldn't take any effort. She could hand the sword over, and nothing bad would happen to her. I won't have to face demons. Niina will like me.

No! Mother, what about mother? She clapped her hands to her cheeks. I have to kill the demon king. I have to stop the miasma.

Her eyes narrowed. Muninn glared up at Odin, angry. Is this his magic? I'm not going to give up!

Odin bowed his head. Although she couldn't make out his face, she could feel the sorrow in the gesture. His hand dropped to his side. "So be it." He rushed at her. She thrust the sword at him and braced herself for impact.

It never came. Odin passed through her like smoke. When she turned, she was alone in the pool once more. Wise this time, she spun around, but he was completely gone. No matter where she turned, Odin was nowhere to be seen.

Was that some kind of memory? But he'd mentioned the sword. Looked at her. And I was me, not someone else. She frowned. If it was real, how could he turn to smoke?

The trees continued to shake. Muninn stared, watching closely. A glimpse of yellow eyes flashed between the leaves. Green skin shone for just a moment, a hint of something shaking the trees. Again? Did Odin bring them, or—was that just a dream?

It didn't matter. They're demons! I need to move! Startled into action by her own realization, Muninn scooped her stuff off the rock. She ran for the others, bundle under one arm and the Demon-Killing Sword in the other, ready to slash at anything that got in her way. "Demons! In the forest!"

No sooner had she shouted it than the demons appeared. They spilled from between the trees and dropped from the branches, screaming and cackling their joy at the chase. Despite their small size and their knobbly appearance, they gained on her. In no time, they'd passed through the meadow at the edge of the pools. Muninn fled, heart hammering in her chest. Her bare feet slammed through the pools and skidded over muddy rock.

Behind her, the first of the demons splashed into the water. A startled squeal followed the splash. She glanced back to find it half-submerged. Before it could find its feet or go around the deep pool, its fellows swarmed over it, using its head as a stepping-stone to go further. Muninn whipped back around. The pools won't stop them!

Kjell jumped up as she ran past and yanked his boots on, staggering through the few steps until he'd gotten them on. He quickly pulled ahead of her, loping gait too long for her to keep up with.

Below them, Huginn poked his head over the edge of the pool. "What's going—"

His eyes widened as he saw the swarm of little green demons. He vanished for a second and reappeared a second later, coat and clothes bundled in his arms, bag slung over his bare back. Something white flashed on his shoulderblade. Muninn rubbed her eyes, but no, it didn't fade. Is that a shirt hung over his shoulder? But it wasn't hanging right for that. It's almost shaped like... she blinked. It is!

On the opposite shoulder from hers, white as snow, hung a white wing. He jumped from the edge of one pool to another, and the wing flared the same way hers would when she jumped too far. She stared, jaw hanging. What are the odds? She'd seen other mixed-bloods with wings before, but never the exact same type and size as hers. It was almost eerie.

"Muninn! Hurry!" Kjell shouted.

She jumped, startled, and realized she'd slowed. Muninn ducked her head and pushed on.The demons are right behind me! I can't hesitate!

"What's going on?" Vivi asked. Draped in a towel, she poked out around the edge of a stand of trees and froze, eyes going wide as dinner plates.

"What is it?" Niina appeared a second later. Her face went steely. She shoved Vivi, who ran ahead, and vanished for a second. Bow in hand, she reappeared and fired at the demon. Demons squealed in pain behind Muninn, but there was no way a single bow could stop the horde.

"Just run!" Kjell shouted at her.

Niina hesitated long enough to fire off another few shots, then spun and ran after Vivi. Like a deer, Muninn thought, watching her vanish silently into the woods.

Distracted, she didn't notice the swift stream until her foot plunged into it. There was no time to catch herself. Her wing flared, and then the water enveloped her.