13.1 Pass

A day passed. Kjell woke a few times throughout, but only enough to eat, move around, then fall back asleep. Muninn fiddled anxiously in her corner, eyes darting to the door at every pause. If they're going to turn back, I should leave. There's no reason to stay. Yet she couldn't find the will to stand up and walk to the door with everyone's eyes on her. In the end, she drifted off as nightfall darkened the tower.

The light of dawn woke her, clear now that Vivi had taken the stuffing-cloths out of the tower wall to lay them out to dry before they were packed back up. She blinked woozily, lazy with sleep, then sat straight up. This is my chance.

She stood, careful not to scuff the stone or snag her coat on anything. Through the cracks in the tower wall, she could see it was a beautiful day. The dawn sun peered over the horizon, warming a pale blue sky with candy pinks. There wasn't a cloud to be seen. It was far too lovely a day to turn back.

Muninn swallowed and squared her shoulders. I have to save my mother. Even if I'm alone, I must press on. She started for the door.

Her hand was inches from the knob when a cough stopped her. "Where're you going?" Huginn asked. She turned back. He was perched on the stairs up to the second floor, arms curled around his legs, back oddly hunched around the shoulders. When their eyes met, he stood. "Sneaking out like a thief."

"I didn't steal anything," she defended herself.

Huginn raised his hand to stop her short. There was a resolve in his gaze that mirrored the resolve in hers. "If you're going ahead, I'm coming with you."

"And where are you kids headed off to alone?" Vivi admonished them. Huginn and Muninn jumped, but Vivi chuckled and stood. "I can't leave you alone. You won't turn back until you see it's impossible, right? I'll go with you to the pass."

"Vivi," Niina complained, but that was the end of it. She unfolded from her sleeping position and pushed her short hair back, fingers straightening it around her many horns.

"Well, hurry up!" Kjell's voice came faintly from the far side of the door. Surprised, Muninn opened the door. He stood in the middle of the clearing, a haphazard grin on his face, lopsided bandanna holding back his shock of red hair once more. If it weren't for the bandages peeking through his torn shirt and the pale tint to his face, she would have never known he'd been hurt at all.

Something rustled in the undergrowth, and moments later, Gunnel appeared, as wispy and faded as ever. "Shall we go?" he offered, quiet voice carrying from the meadow to the tower.

Muninn smiled. Even if it's only a little while longer, I'm glad I don't have to travel alone.

They went. Kjell's injuries slowed him, though from the persistent smile on his face, Muninn never would have guessed he was in pain. She couldn't help but appreciate the slowdown. Kjell's usual loping pace was nearer a jog than a walk for her. At this pace, she could admire the forest around them, the incredibly vivid leaves that seemed to almost glow with life, the bustling charm of the undergrowth, the soft peat beneath their feet. The other side of the wall felt like a faded dream, or maybe a distant nightmare. So much grey and brown, and none of this vibrant green. And the smell! She'd never imagined there'd be such a warm smell after rain. Usually, all it did was enhance the reek of garbage and strengthen wet-dog smell of unwashed fur. In this forest, though, rain had brought everything to life. The world was fresh, delicate, warm.

A distant screech had Muninn jump. It's not all beautiful, she reminded herself. There was a reason they'd built the wall. Her hand moved to the sword. And I'm going to put an end to it.

For some time, they'd been walking toward the sound of running water. The sound had gone from a low rush to a roar, and still she couldn't see the source. Air pressed in around her, thick with humidity and the heat of summer.

Around the edge of a rock outcropping, Gunnel stopped. Muninn jogged closer cautiously. Is there a demon? Something in our way?

She turned the corner and stopped dead, eyes wide.

A river raged before her. White water frothed as it slammed into rocks, curled around fallen branches. She followed the narrow chasm of the riverbed up, as the earth sloped into the mountains, as the mountains pierced into the sky. The chasm split a narrow gap between the two mountains. Far above them, tall cliffs stood sentinel on either bank of the river. No matter where she searched, the sheer, stony face of the mountain above the treeline blocked the way ahead.

"And there's the pass," Vivi announced with a grand gesture at the river. She peered out over the water and back up toward the mountains. "No way up it now."

"We could wade it," Huginn said, but he looked uncertain.

Niina shook her head. "The riverbed is narrow, but deep. If you stepped in, you'd be over your head, and the water would sweep you away in an instant."

Muninn bit her lip. She didn't want to admit it, but she couldn't see a way forward. "Then, the lake," she suggested. It was dangerous, but surely they could skirt far enough around it?

Vivi chuckled. "I don't know about that."

"Absolutely not," Niina concurred.

"I'm not going to turn back here," Kjell said firmly. He crossed his arms. "We can try again. The second demon hunter braved the lake, didn't she? There's a way. There must be."

"Brynhild had a thousand trained men, and she was one of the strongest knights of her time, to boot," Vivi said, rolling her eyes. "Of course she could do it. That doesn't mean we can."

"Brynhild?" Muninn blurted, startled. She was the second demon hunter? It fell in line with everything she'd seen, but... I guess I hadn't put two and two together yet. Then Sigurd had to be the first. These are the demon hunters' memories. She breathed out, amazed. She'd seen incredible things before, but she'd never been able to see the memories of legends like the two heroes sent beyond the wall. Even if they'd failed in their quest to kill the demon king, it didn't make their quests there any less legendary.

"Yes, Brynhild, who else? Don't they teach anything in schools nowadays?" Vivi joked.

Muninn shrugged. "I wouldn't know."

Vivi looked shocked for a moment. Realization and something like shame crossed her face for a second, and then she shook her head. "Right. As I was going to say, why don't we take a break here? There's a place up ahead where the water slows. We can cross there, but we could also all use a bath, especially after all that time cooped up in the tower. I know we're all in the woods, but it's getting unlivable near some of you." She patted Huginn's head.

He scowled and brushed off his hair. "So what?" he grumbled.

"The stronger we smell of human, the more demons will be lured to us," Niina said.

Huginn's face turned sour, but he nodded, however begrudgingly.