7.3 Lake

Cold hands shook her awake. Muninn darted to her feet, ready to fight, but it was Gunnel, face as pale as the moon. "Wake the others."

"Why?" she mumbled, wiping her eyes. It was still dark out, the moon a faint glow on the far side of thick clouds. The sun wasn't even peeking over the horizon.

In the forest, far too close to them, something howled. Muninn startled and turned to face it, but Gunnel grabbed her shoulder and pointed up. She followed his finger to the moon. Her brows furrowed. "What?" It was the moon. Nothing special about that. She couldn't even see it right now past the... clouds...

The moon's light tinged purple as it filtered through the clouds, dark, deep purple.

"Miasma," Muninn hissed. Her stomach pulled tight, and fear shivered down her spine. It's so thick. How did it move so quickly? Any longer, and they would've been in it.

"Wake the others," Gunnel repeated.

Muninn opened her mouth to shout and was interrupted by a second howl. It shattered the night, loud and clear, as if the creature calling was standing right next to her. Her eyes darted to the woods, but she saw nothing. Wolves, or demons? An image flashed before her eyes: a gaping maw, dripping with acid, black horns that twisted around sharp ears. She tipped her head. Or demon wolves?

Gunnel's pale eyes turned to her. "The miasma is driving them wild."

Her eyes widened, and she nodded. No shouting. She crept over to the nearest bedroll and gave it a shake. "Wake up."

White hair appeared from the depths of the bedroll. Blue eyes cracked open, took her in, and immediately shut again. "Go to hell."

Muninn pressed her lips together. I should leave him to the demons.

She sighed aloud. No, no, alchemists are useful. "There's miasma," she warned him, at the same time as a new voice let out a screeching yowl.

Huginn was on his feet so quickly she wasn't sure how he'd left the bedroll. "We have to go."

"Wake the others," Muninn said. He nodded and ran off toward Kjell. She bolted to Vivi and Niina. The two of them were curled up close as ever. As she drew close, motion startled her into stillness. Bright eyes reflected the light of the moon. Sharp ears jutted against the dark. Her heart leaped into her throat. They're here. The demons have found us.

"What is it?" Niina asked, her voice thick from sleep. The glowing eyes blinked lazily at her, and suddenly those sharp ears were Niina's familiar horns, jutting out of her head all over, not just over her ears.

Her cheeks flushed, embarrassment replacing fear. Glad Niina couldn't make out her face in the darkness, Muninn pointed at the moon. "Miasma."

Niina cursed under her breath and nudged the woman next to her. "Vi, c'mon."

Howls and screeches peppered the rustling as the smugglers rolled up bedrolls and broke down tents. Muninn stood lookout with Gunnel, the demon hide pulled over her shoulders. It didn't smell as strongly now, but neither was it quite so slimy and gross. As she waited, she cut off a strip of her shirt and threaded it through a pair of holes in the front of the hide. When she let go, it settled around her shoulders like a cape. She swung the sword a few times to test the tie. It held.

Muninn grinned at herself. Perfect.

The faint scent of burnt feathers caught in her nose. White hair flickered in the edge of her peripheral vision. She whipped around. "Mother, don't play with the—"

Kjell furrowed his brows at her, confused.

She blinked and shook her head. Mother isn't here. She's back in the city. "Sorry, I... must have made a mistake."

"It's the miasma. It's getting thicker," Huginn said, hefting his pack over his shoulder.

Paper crinkled as Kjell pulled out the map. "Gunnel, do you know somewhere we could hunker down around here?"

The man nodded and moved closer to Kjell.

Eyebrows raised, Vivi looked at Muninn. "You're a half-demon?"

Huginn rolled his eyes. "You didn't notice the wing? Her back puffs up every time she gets the least bit annoyed."

Muninn narrowed her eyes at Huginn. "How do you know it's a wing?"

"It's obvious," he said, crossing his arms.

She started forward, but before she could reach him, a sharp crack drew her attention to the forest. Branches snapped. Heavy limbs pounded against the earth, growing louder with every passing second. Kjell shouted and pushed Gunnel away from him while he drew his sword with his other hand. Faster than Muninn's eyes could follow, Niina notched an arrow to her bow.

A serpent as large as a horse broke into the clearing, screeching a roar as it lowered its head. Two claws bit into the earth and propelled it forward, while its back end scythed across the earth like a snake's. It charged toward Kjell, mouth open. Long teeth as white as moonlight dripped venom.

Its long tail cut the group in half. Huginn, Muninn, and Gunnel stood on one side, while Kjell, Vivi, and Niina stood on the other.

Niina's bowstring twanged. The serpent screeched and spun toward her. Its tail flailed in anger, tossing fallen leaves into the air as it flailed.

Muninn drew her sword and crept closer. Just one slash, and they'd all be safe.

In front of everyone? a little voice asked. She hesitated. They were smugglers. It wasn't safe. If they saw, then she might have to leave them again, and...

But then, if you don't, and they all die, there's no difference, a second voice answered. She raised the sword.

"Take that!" Kjell slashed the serpent's chest. It screeched and twisted in pain. Heavy coils of its body swooshed through the air, scales glistening in the moonlight. Muninn staggered back, too late. A coil smacked into her chest. She was launched into the air and landed heavily on her heels, then tripped backwards. Wildly, she swirled her arms, desperate to find her balance.

A cool chest against her back, arms around her waist. She looked up. Gunnel.

She was on a horse. They plunged through the woods, armor clattering and hooves crashing through the undergrowth. It was lower, the woods better maintained. She leaned forward as her horse leaped over a fallen tree. They're going to catch us!

A loud snarl sounded from behind her. She whipped her head around and found a pack of wolf-men, froth spewing from their mouths. They growled and barked, racing on all fours, back and shoulders thick with fur, faces half muzzle. With every passing second, the wolf-men drew closer.

Fear sparked in her stomach. She kicked her horse to run faster. It couldn't, already at a full sprint.

Ahead of her, a beautiful woman turned back. Brunhild. Blonde hair streamed out behind her, caught at her face. Her armor was dented and dirtied, well-worn leather and metal proof of her prowess. The Demon-Killing Sword was strapped to Brunhild's hip, glinting in the shattered sunlight that spilled through the leaves. Somehow, it only made her more beautiful.

The sword! Muninn glanced down.  She wore a sword, but it wasn't the right one. Panic struck, and in the same second subsided. A memory. It's someone's memory.

They passed a pair of trees that had fused into a Y-shape, and Brunhild pointed. "Just ahead!"

"Huginn, no!"

Bright light dazzled her eyes as an explosion rocked the forest. Muninn found herself sagged in Gunnel's arms and staggered to a stand, feet slipping over the leaves. The serpent fell heavily to the earth, dark ichor hissing as it ate at fallen leaves. She frowned at Kjell. Why not? It had worked.

Everywhere around them, the forest came alive with snaps and cracks. Eyes glittered from every direction. Her stomach dropped. They all heard.

"Run!" Kjell shouted.