12.2 Tears

Muninn froze. The water lapped at her feet, not yet settled. She watched Niina, afraid. Has she decided to kill me after all?

Then Niina sighed and slowly released the tension in her bow. "Stupid nightmares," she muttered.

Vivi glanced at her. "You too?" she asked.

The two exchanged a look. "Victor?" Niina asked.

Vivi nodded, confused. They both looked at Kjell. "He shouted something about Victor, didn't he?" Vivi asked. "I thought I heard something..."

"Must be a coincidence. We're so close to the lake, after all. It's no surprise he's on our minds," Huginn butted in.

"Wh—where are we?" a sleepy voice stammered. Kjell shifted and managed half a sit. "We're... I thought we were by... that tower."

"You're awake?" Vivi asked.

Kjell blinked at her. "No."

She darted to his side and felt his forehead with hers. "The fever broke!" she reported triumphantly, ignoring the sarcastic remark. "How do you feel?"

"Everything hurts," he grumbled.

"But where in particular?" Vivi prodded.

The trapdoor creaked open. Distracted, Muninn turned to face it. Gunnel descended, paler than ever in the thin sunlight of early morning or an overcast sky. "The miasma has retreated."

"So we can keep going?" Muninn asked, excited. At last!

Gunnel turned watery eyes toward the others.

"We should turn back," Vivi said seriously. She held up the waterskin to Kjell's lips and tipped it back until he had no choice but to drink. "It's too dangerous to pass by the lake."

Niina nodded. "I agree."

"We haven't seen the pass yet," Muninn argued. She'd never seen the pass, in fact, but it seemed possible that there would be another way around, another way forward.

The look Vivi turned to her was dead. "I know you want to keep going, but there's no way forward. We'll come back next year."

Next year! Muninn shook her head. By next year, who knows if Mom will be alive? She certainly won't have a scrap of sanity left. It's too late.

Huginn's eyes were on Muninn. He only turned away when the rest of the group paused, looking at him. "I think we should try," he said slowly. "The pass is close. We would only waste another day's travel to look before we turn back."

"You know there's no way through the pass after the rains come in," Vivi pleaded.

Niina nodded. "It's another day's worth of danger. We could get injured," she nodded to Kjell, "or worse."

All heads turned to Gunnel. Solemn, he shook his head. "I am only a guide. I will guide wherever you decide to go."

"What about me?" Kjell croaked. Five pairs of eyes turned to him. A pause stretched as he swallowed the water Vivi had given him and pushed away the waterskin. He shook his head.

Vivi gave him a gentle smile. "It's alright. We'll be back next year."

"No." Kjell's eyes blazed with anger. He pushed Vivi away and clawed his way upright. He trembled and dropped, his knees too weak to hold him. Vivi caught him, anxious expression on her face. Kjell pushed her away again. Reluctantly, she let go, but this time, he held his own weight, however shaky his knees were. "We'll go. This time, we'll make it through."

"Killing yourself won't bring your brother back," Niina said flatly.

Kjell glared at her. "I'm not going to kill myself."

She gave him a look.

"And this isn't about Victor. It's about the treasure. The royal horde! Everyone is going for it. Now that we all know the trick to the vault, it's fair game! If we come back next year, it won't be there. This is our chance."

Vivi shook her head. "We haven't been out here for a year, Kjell. Let's call it a practice run and wait for the rains to dry up. No one else can get past the Lake of Tears once it rains, either."

Kjell shook his head. "I'll go alone if I have to," he swore.

"Royal horde?" Muninn asked, lost.

Gunnel looked at her. "The palace's jeweler leaked the secret to the vault door on his deathbed two months ago."

She frowned. "The palace is behind the wall, isn't it?"

"The summer palace," Kjell groaned. He eased himself back toward the ground. Vivi kept a tight grip on his arm and helped him down. "What used to be the main palace is out here—out there," he gestured ahead of them, "in what used to be the capitol."

"We've been before—to the capitol, not the palace. No one could get into the vault until now," Vivi said. "The first wave of miasma enveloped the capitol. The Crown had to abandon the palace in a hurry, and left most of their treasure."

Muninn's eyes got wide. That much stuff? Even a single golden fork could keep her mother on medicine for the rest of her life!

"Most of it was taken years ago. That's what makes the vault special," Huginn added, before her imagination could run too wild.

"Besides, the palace is absolutely overrun with monsters," Niina added, eyes flashing as she turned to face them.

"We knew that heading out," Kjell said. He leaned back against the wall and sighed out. "We can't give up now. I won't give up. Not yet."

There was a pause. Muninn waited, expecting something else, but it never came. After a moment, a gentle snore issued from Kjell's throat.

Vivi chuckled. "He did just wake up. Let's let him rest."

"And then we can head home," Niina said firmly.

Muninn pressed her lips together and looked away. I set off alone. I can finish this alone.