Chapter 10

Thomas Hood

Jeff had taken me to his house after school the next day. He had said that he would show me his drawings and paintings, and give me help on my bike designs. His designs were so colourful and imaginative. I couldn't believe that he was helping me with my designs when he should've been working on his own.
          "Wow, this is amazing," I gasped. "You shouldn't waste your talent on sketches for me."
          "Oh, I don't mind," Jeff shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets. "AII right, what should we work on first?"
          "Well, I Iove building cars...with my dad, but I wanna... I wanna design something more lasting and permanent," I nervously smiled, trying not to completely diss my dad's work. "I.M. Pei, for instance, designs the most amazing buildings, and Joseph Strauss...he built the Golden Gate Bridge."
          "Yeah, my family went there Iast summer." Jeff grinned.
          "It's pretty awesome." I smiled.
          "Well, then, why don't we start with San Francisco?" Jeff suggested.
          "AII right, cool." I nodded.
          "Oh, yeah, and if my dad asks, this is a school project," My friend sighed. "He thinks artists are, Iike, homeless hippies, so..."
          "I don't wanna get you in trouble." I stated, picking up my bag, ready to leave.
          "Oh, no, no, no!" He exclaimed.
          "Are you sure?" I asked, slowly putting my bag back on the floor.
          "I need some more samples for my portfolio anyway," He shrugged. "I'm applying to NYU Design School. Or, as I tell my dad, Columbia Pre-Med."
          "These are..." I literally couldn't think of a word that was good enough to describe Jeff's creations. "They're incredible."
          "Thanks." And then we got started on my designs.

***

"Asia, late. Sit." Mrs Clifford demanded, droning her words.
          I felt sorry for Mrs Clifford. She'd married a member from a punk-rock band, had one boy who is a pain in the arse and another baby that was about to leave the womb. And having to deal with two children in two different schools, one of which she works at, and having to work even when she was supposed to be on maternity leave seemed to be one heck of a job.
          "Hey, Thomas." Asia smiled, kissing my cheek.
          "What was that for?" I asked.
          "For being my first friend that's a boy."
          While I was breaking all of my rules with Jeff, I figured that I could enjoy a few other things South Ocean had to offer, like Asia. She could walk in late any day she wanted, I wouldn't care. She was the girl who was having this effect on me. It wasn't right. She must've had a voodoo doll of me. And her funny, fake English accent made me think that I was having an English love affair. Why did this have to happen? How did I end up here? I was taking the long way home everyday just so that I could pass her house. But right now, I wish that I could wake up with amnesia and forget about the stupid little things, like my crush, the Plastics and especially the argument with my dad. Oh, my God. Did I really just describe my life using my dad's songs? Who am I?
          "Okay, everybody, big day today. We commence the great musical project," Mrs Clifford grinned, rubbing her belly. "Young man, that is where we act dramatically and sing sad, slow songs dramatically."
          "Yeah, um, I know-"
          "You'II be judged on style and structure. And if you'd just Iike to opt out and write me a plan or-"
          "Tempting, but doesn't the top group have the option to submit for the musical theatre scholarship?"
          "Yes. Not that any of you slackers care," Mrs Clifford frowned. "Eligibility for the scholarship requires math and English grades at a least C, top scores on all class projects, working in a group or not, eight GCSEs and two BTECs."
          "And..." I trailed off.
          "And a glowing letter of recommendation from me. And, as you know, I don't glow often..." The teacher trailed off, slightly frowning at her belly and slightly pouting. "Especially since I've got five children and one on the way." I will now correct myself, six children, not two.
          "Let me guess, we're gonna have to win?" Asia asked me.
          "Pretty much." I nodded.
          "Well, then maybe we should get in some extra study time," Asia asked, shuffling closer to me so our legs were touching. "Go see a film or something, you know?"
          "When?"
          "Tomorrow night?" She asked, biting her lip.
          "Sounds good," I agreed, kissing her cheek. Why did I do that? "See you there, baby." The names, really? Ugh. I need girl advice. This can't happen.
          "See you there, mate." She giggled.

***

"Hey!" I exclaimed, running over to Jeff, who was talking to Fletcher.
          "Yeah, come 'round when you want. You live in front of me anyway." Jeff shrugged, smiling.
          "Okay. I heart you." Fletcher pouted, making a 'heart' shape using his hands.
          "I heart you, too." Jeff repeated, doing a 'heart' shape using his hands before pecking Fletcher's lips.
          "What happened there?" I asked as Fletcher skipped away.
          "Fletcher and I heart each other!" Jeff squealed.
          "You're together? That's great!" I exclaimed, patting my friend's back. "I'll protect you from Robert."
          "We appreciate that."
          "Guess what?" I asked, changing the subject.
          "Mrs Clifford was extremely sexist towards you?"
          "No, well, yes..." I trailed off. "Asia just asked me out!"
          It was amazing, having a friend to confide in. I had never liked a girl before. Never kissed a girl. Never been out with a girl. Never had a friend I could tell all my secrets. Asia was the one. I'd never had a real-
          "Thomas, you can't. It'd be a big mistake," Or not. "You don't know who she-"
          "She's my drama partner and I've seen her without a shirt," I grinned. "Good enough for me."
          "Wait, you've seen her without a shirt?"
          "I went into the wrong changing room."
          "You know what? I don't care. You can't do this."

Robert Irwin-Hemmings

After school was terrible. I mean, it was fine at first because I was on the verge of frickle-frackling with Nicki for the hundredth time, but the terrible part was receiving a notification from Gordon telling me about how Thomas Hood and my sister were going to see a film. I was furious. My sister was to go nowhere near that boy.
          "Oh, my God!" I exclaimed in anger, throwing my phone on the floor. "Asia is a total traitor."
          "Shut up." Nicki whined.
          "He's so crossed the line." I seethed.
          "Who has?"
          "That bitch, Thomas," I answered in a 'duh' tone. "God, Nicki, keep up!"
          "Sorry." She muttered.
          "Give me your car keys," I demanded, holding out my hand. "Don't." I muttered as Nicki kissed my neck.
          I stood and walked to my door. I looked behind me to see Nicki sitting on the chair still. I opened my door and sent her a 'leave now' gesture. She huffed and then stormed out of my room. I walked behind her, crossing my arms as we left the house. I unlocked her car and watched as she sat in the front passenger seat. I sat next to her and started driving. Thomas would not get away with this.