Chapter 3

Thomas Hood

It was after school now. I was at home, minding my own business, but then my dad came home from his job based on 'coaching young people to greatness', which is code for 'take my child and train them to be a famous footballer', and decided to talk to me about school. I knew that this conversation was coming, but I hated it. I had this conversation every time I changed schools. It was always the same, even my mum was bored of it.
          "Hey." My dad greeted me, sitting next to me on my bed.
          "Hey, Dad."
          "Well, how was it?"
          "I saw a boy become road-kill in the hall," I sighed. "Gotta Iove high school."
          "Who made him road-kill?"
          "This group called 'the Plastics'."
          "That's old!" My mum exclaimed. "Your dad used to be in a group called 'the Plastics', too."
          "Doesn't surprise me," I muttered, turning to my dad. "How come you never told me about the Burn Book?"
          "Uh, what?" My dad asked, acting dumb.
          "You used to bully people. You're mean. You and your group of friends," I muttered. "I feel sorry for everyone who thinks that you and your band were so amazing and kind. Because you're not."
          "Tom, I'm a nice person. That's all in the past. I was a teenager. Teenagers get taught up in a lot of shit. I don't want you to be like that."
          "Fuck that! You're not a nice person, Dad! I can't believe I found out about your past from your headmaster. You're ridiculous!"
          "Thomas!" My mum gasped.
          "He hurt you, right? Slapped you in front of everyone at lunch."
          "How do you know all of this?" My dad asked.
          "I talked to Uncle Luke. I-I searched through your contacts and found his number," I answered, shaking my head. "You never told me that he lives here."
          "Luke?" My mum asked in shock. "I haven't talked to Luke in years..."
          "I told him that we're visiting." Calum sighed, shaking his head. "I thought that we could actually visit everyone instead of just saying it."
          "Thomas, your dad is sorry about what he's done. Him, Luke, Michael and Ashton." My mum ignored my dad's comment, patting my shoulder.
          "Whatever, right? It's in the past." I scoffed, shrugging. "Speaking of my escape, has my Mackenzie Avocado application arrived?"
          "Hey, you know, I was Iooking today, and I saw that the University of Ohio has a great architectural program. You could stay close to home, transform Toledo into an architectural wonderland." My dad shot me a fake smile, handing me an application to the University of Ohio.
          "What? No, Dad, I'm applying for Mackenzie Avocado. I want to be in the drama program."
          "But Ohio is closer, Tom." My mum argued.
          "Dad, what's going on?" I asked him. "I'm applying early decision at Mackenzie Avocado."
          "Why do you wanna go there, hon?" My mum asked, sitting next to me. "They don't even have a good mascot. I mean, a Scottish terrier. Who's gonna be intimidated by that? PIus, you... You qualify for in-state tuition here."
          "Oh, my God," I started freaking out. "What happened to my tuition?"
          "Tom..." My dad sighed. "Look, I'm sorry. I kept hoping that the market would rebound, but my investments... They've cut my pay until summer. It's winter, Tom, and it's dangerous for kids to practice football in harsh weather."
          "Then make them un-cut spending!" I yelled at him. "Mum, you went to Mackenzie Avocado, I-I have to go there. You Ioved it!"
          "I know, I know," My mum sighed. "I'm sorry we Iet you down. I know you're disappointed, Tom, and that's okay. Honey, you don't always have to be so strong."
          Strong? I was trying not to panic. But when you've moved as much as I have, you kinda get attached to the idea of settling down in one place for four years. In this case, my mum's alma mater. Life wasn't exactly your typical warm and fuzzy greeting card when it came to my life. But I wasn't the only one in my own personal hell.
          "No, no!" I shouted, putting my head on my hands. "You just don't want me to leave. You're punishing me for something that I've done!"
          "Hon, you haven't done anything wrong. We just can't pay." My mum replied softly, rubbing my back.
          "My life is going down hill," I cried. "I've never had a girlfriend. I've never had any friends. I've never had a full year of school at the same school."

          "Well, maybe we could-" My dad started to suggest.
          "No! No more moving. I want to stay here and never move again. I want to have a family here. I want to get married here. I want to die here!" I exclaimed.
          "How about getting a job?" My mum asked.
          "How about you get a job?" I fired back.
          "Thomas, you know that your mum has a job. She's... We're trying to keep this baby safe. She can't go back yet." My dad answered.
          "Get a better job. A job where you don't move. Both of you!" I snapped.
          "Okay, I'm done," My dad muttered, standing and walking away from me. "You're crazy. People can't just change jobs within a second. Thomas, we can pay half. The rest is for the future. We don't have enough money for your books or other supplies."
          "I'll get a job." I mumbled. "I promise."
          "You don't have to get a job. We can manage." My mum replied.
          "What happened to all the money you made when you were my age?" I asked my dad.
          "We can't use it right now, Tom. We're still waiting for the bill of this house to come back. It's going to take at least a few more months, but you finish school by then."
          "It's not fair..."
          "Our cards are on hold!" My dad snapped. "Stop being so selfish! I know you want to go to UNI, but we can't afford it right now. So either you earn the rest of the money, or stop complaining and wait another year. I'm even finding it hard to pay for groceries right now."
          "I-I'm sorry, Dad. I'm such a brat..."
          "You're not a brat, you're just a teenager." My mum replied, shaking her head and hugging me.
          This was one of those moments that I loved. I was never close with my mum, I was close with my dad. So to have my mum hug me and to have my dad yell at me seemed to be the best thing in the world. I loved both of my parents. I deserved to go to UNI, but I also deserved to be yelled at, to be called selfish, because that's what I was. I was a teenager. I was given everything I could ever want, but all of those things were not what I really needed. So I guess it goes to show how lucky was. But I had no idea what was in store for me.