King of Hearts

Man, he was really out of shape! He felt like he'd been running for hours, and that familiar taste of blood was lingering in his throat. He'd never dreamed of being so active when he was living in his own realm.

The beast was still running wild, and Saber was keeping close on his tail. He was happy, because he wasn't sure he would be able to keep up for much longer. That's when the hairs on the back of his neck tingled, and he chanced a glance over his shoulder.

The red witch was sprinting behind him, not missing a single step, even in those killer stilettos! That seemed to renew his vigor, and he started pumping his limbs even harder, eventually matching Saber's stride. She glanced over in surprise when she finally noticed him.

"Oh my goodness, Zain!" she cried breathlessly. "You look terrible! Do you need to stop?"

"Can't . . . afford . . . to rest!" he panted, throwing a thumb over his shoulder. She glanced back, and he could see the blood drain from her face.

"Well spoken," she said ominously, turning back and focusing on where her footing fell. They almost didn't notice that the Bandersnatch was plowing right through the rose maze.

"Heel, you stupid dog!" the woman screeched close behind them. But the beast didn't listen, its behind still smarting from the zap of lightning. Eventually, they cleared the maze and clambered into a rusted cobblestone courtyard.

There were roses and thorny vines strewn everywhere. Disfigured fountains littered the clearing, none of them in proper working order. It was so dreary and listless here. The beast gave a final howl before leaping high in the air. That's when they stopped in their tracks, noticing a man walking across the path.

His head full of fiery red hair was cast down, a golden crown rimmed in fur balanced on his locks. His entire form was draped in a large, fur-lined red cap with spade textiles on them. A scepter topped with a crystal cut heart dangled at his side. Zain couldn't help the small smile that came to his lips. They truly were brothers . . .

The man stopped in his tracks and glanced at them, his striking blue eyes widening when he noticed the Bandersnatch quickly descending on him. Zain and Saber winced as the two collided. Just then, they were being shoved apart by Ophelia, who had a guilty look on her face as she ran towards the dog.

"You stupid, stupid mongrel!" she wheezed. "Remove yourself from the king at once!" With severe gestures of her hands, she used the mysterious power she wielded so expertly on the dog, forcibly removing him from the sprawled king.  The man had an annoyed look on his face as he collected himself and dusted off his stylish modern suit.

"I'm so sorry, Jeremiah," Ophelia tried to apologize, but he promptly ignored her as he looked back to them.

"Who are you?" he asked them, his voice just like Alfred's. It gave Zain the chills.

"O-oh! Please don't mind them!" Ophelia said, coming into his path to distract him. "They're just meddling trespassers. I was actually escorting them to my dungeon, but things got a little out of hand-"

"King Jeremiah?" Saber called, beginning to step forward. Ophelia snapped her gaze to her, giving her a look that could chill ice. But Jeremiah suddenly pushed her aside, even more intrigued at their presence. That's when Saber removed the rainbow vial from her dress, and his eyes widened to saucers.

Then it struck Zain: Ophelia seemed to be right about someone playing a prank on Alfred. There was positively nothing wrong with Jeremiah.

"That . . . that's medicine," Jeremiah breathed, surging forward to reach for the vial. "This is from . . . Meredith."