"The" Night

She is panting heavily as she runs on the side of the road in the middle of one night. It's nearly 1 am.

Why is a young lady running at such time? She looks panicky. Is someone following her from behind? What's wrong with her?

She sits down on a bench at a bus stop and takes out her phone.

*heavy breathing*

She presses numbers on the dial pad.

"Please... Pick up... Please..!"

*the call is cancelled*

"UGH, LEE DAEWON, PLEASE"

She tries to call her boyfriend again.

*the call gets cancelled for the second time*

"Did he just cancel my call twice?"

She turns her head to the left side as she heard a car driving towards her.

"Taxi!"

She hops on the taxi and tells Daewon's address to the driver.

On the way, she keeps biting her fingernails and her body is shaking.

"Hey, are you okay?"

The driver gets worried because he can tell that there is something wrong with her when he saw her panicking through the rear-view mirror.

"I- I'm fine... Just... Please drive quickly..."

She grabs her backpack, unzips it and takes out her wallet. She checks how much money she grabbed and sighed.

"I wish this is enough..."

she whispers.

About thirty minutes later, she arrives in front of Daewon's apartment. She smiles as she now feels a bit secure. Daewon has always been there for her when she needs him. He's a simple and well-mannered guy whom she met at her college. They've been dating for a year now.

"Wait..?"

His room still has the lights on. She hurries upstairs and stops right before his door. Her hands are hesitating to even knock on the door.

"What are those noises..?"

She hears the sound of one or more girls laughing and squealing, together with Daewon's voice. The sound of people having fun.

"Don't tell me-"

She holds the door-knob and notices that it's unlocked. So, she slams the door open and encounters the scene she least expected to see in her "simple and well-mannered" boyfriend's apartment.

"HHHhhh!"

"Lee Daewon..."

He's holding a beer-bottle enjoying two chicks stripping for him in the living-room.

"Haejoo-ah"

"What is this?"

"Haejoo-ah, I-"

He puts on a shirt and runs to her.

*a hard slap*

"Don't say anything."

"Jagi-yah..."

He tries to touch her arm but she slaps it away.

"Jagi-yah? Wow."

"Please, I can explain."

"You just destroyed my last belief in love."

She takes off the ring he gave her, throws it at his face and rushes down the stairs.

"Haejoo-ah!"

She runs straight to the nearest lane and leans on the wall of the building. She covers her mouth and screams at the top of her lungs with tears all over her face.

Then, she sits down on the ground and holds her bag tightly in her chest.

"Even Lee Daewon..? Even my boyfriend?"

She sobs.

'Then, what is love..? Is that even real..? Does that even exist..?'

She says in her mind, pulling her knees close to her chest and wraps her arms around them.

'Just take me away from this world...'

She buries her head in her own arms and continues to cry for a long time.

As it's in the middle of the night and everyone is sleeping, the environment is really quiet and dark.

*sniffs*

Haejoo touches her uneven hair and sighs.

*low battery alert*

"Ugh, nice timing..."

Sudden barks of dogs scare her.

"God, I can't stay here for a long time."

The noises get closer and closer to her. Haejoo quickly grabs her backpack and stands up but she has no idea where to go. However, she walks to where her feet lead her to.

She looks at her watch and notices that she's been walking for about twenty minutes now. She looks at her front and feels relieved out of nowhere. Now, she knows where she should head to.

She crosses the road and walks straight to one old building. She stands in front of it and clenches her jaw. She prepares to ring the doorbell of a closed food shop.

"Ugh... I shouldn't..."

She shakes her head but does it anyway. The room upstairs suddenly lights up. A tall guy with glasses runs down the wooden stairs inside and stops as he sees her.

She gives him a slight smile and he opens the glass door.

"Han Haejoo..?"

"Hey..."

"What happened with you!? Your hair..! Wait, what's with your arms being all swollen?"

"Stop... Can I come in?"

"Of course!"

He's about to close the door behind her but it looks like he was going to touch her, so she steps back with her body shaking a bit.

"What?"

"No."

She walks to the stairs and waits for him.

"Seokjin-ah..."

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry."

"For?"

"This...and everything."

"Enough. Let's go upstairs, come on."

So, Haejoo lowers her head and walks upstairs with Seokjin following her along from behind.