Chapter Thirty-Nine

A/N: Here we are, we're nearing the end. Well, actually part three is going to be about as long as parts one and two combined, so maybe not that near. But we're getting there! 

Anyway, thank you for reading this far along into the story. I'm really excited to share part three, and I hope you enjoy it. Part three will also have flashbacks from before the Maze. In those I combine elements from the Fever Code and the Origins comics that came with the Death Cure DVDs, so you will be spoiled for some things if you haven't read those. Anyway, happy reading! 

Thirteen Years Ago 

Maria was reading her favorite story when they came for her. 

She loved books and had advanced reading skills for a five-year-old, but still needed a little help getting through the longer chapter books. Though she didn't mind needing the help, it meant she would get to read with Tony. Her older brother was patient and would help her sound out the big words she couldn't read on her own. Whenever he read aloud, Tony would bring the characters to life with funny voices, and he made wild gestures to the point where he was basically putting on a show for his little sister. More than once their parents would have to tell them to quiet down whenever they got to into whatever story they were reading. 

Ever since the Sun Flares happened there hadn't been much time for fun. Tony was aware of how lucky they were. Entire families had been lost, children became orphans, whole cities perished in fires. Tony's family had heard the alarms and managed to get underground in time, avoiding the worst of it. Afterward Tony's father had moved the family to an abandoned house and they made a home for themselves in the basement. 

Most days they had to stay inside. According to Tony's father, avoiding other people and keeping to themselves was the best way to stay alive. Maria and his mother almost exclusively stayed inside. He and his father, on the other hand, would have to go out every so often to gather food and supplies. Sometimes they would be gone for multiple days. Tony's mother had protested him going at first, after all he was only eleven-years-old. But these weren't normal circumstances, and his father would need help. 

Now Tony was almost twelve. He was getting older and could continue to help out with more stuff. But that didn't stop him from taking care of his little sister. 

During the outings with his father Tony always looked for a gift to bring back for Maria. He loved his sister more than anything. When she was born, he thought that he would hate her. All his other friends with younger siblings always complained and claimed to hat their siblings, and Tony had been annoyed with Maria's crying at first. Then, out of no where he'd made funny faces while she was lying in her crib and she had stopped crying. She then smiled and reached a hand up toward Tony. Tony put his hand near hers and as soon as she wrapped her tiny hand around his finer he knew that he loved her. 

Poor kid shouldn't have to live this way. As bad as things were, Tony at least had ten years worth of good memories before the Sun Flares hit. Maria had only been four-years-old, she could barely recall life before the walls of this basement. Tony was determined to make sure she had somewhat of a normal, happy childhood. Reading the books he found during his outings was the best he could do. So far, her favorite one was a booked called the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Currently, they were in the middle of reading it for the sixth time. 

Suddenly they heard noises coming from upstairs, it sounded like voices. Tony tensed. He closed the book while Maria snuggled up next to him. 

"What was that?" she whispered. 

"I'm not sure." 

Just then, someone was banging on the door upstairs. Their parents came out of the other room.