Chapter Seventeen

A crack of light shined right in front of Teresa. A door had started to open. As Teresa pushed it further open the Gladers had to take a moment to let their eyes adjust to the light before stepping out. 

They found themselves standing in the middle of a long hallway. Metal pipes hanging from the dreary looking ceiling, just about everything they passed looked sad and lifeless. The hallway also made them feel a bit claustrophobic considering they were used to being outside in the Glade's fields and had mo memory of being inside a real building. 

As they continued to walk more florescent lights turned on. The Gladers were looking for something, people, someone who could give them answers, any sign of life. But all they found was a continuing empty hallway and silence. 

Eventually they came across a door with an exit sign above it. 

"Seriously?" Frypan said. 

Slowly Thomas stepped forward and pushed the door open. The Gladers were holding their breath in anticipation. Maybe, just maybe they would finally get the answers they'd been searching for, right on the other side of this door. 

Instead what they found was a horror scene. Dead bodies were littered everywhere. Scientist, lab technicians, soldiers, all lying down unmoving, most covered in blood. 

Having no idea of what else to do, the teens continued to walk down the hallway, hoping that maybe they would find someone still alive who could give them answers. Jack stopped in front of a window and saw two bodies lying on operating tables covered by sheets. Claire placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and kept him moving along. 

At the end of the hall they found a large circular room. Thomas immediately recognized it from his dreams. From what he could tell, this was the central area where most of the scientist would work, studying data. This was where he and Teresa worked, where they helped design the Maze. There were also more bodies lying on the floor. 

Newt and Frypan looked closer at one of the monitors. They could see an overhead view of the Glade. 

"So they were watching us this whole time," Newt said, a hint of disgust in his voice. He could imagine these people watching them from this room. Watching as the Gladers struggled to survive during the early years, watching boys die. Watching as Claire was attacked by James multiple times. Watching and doing absolutely nothing to stop it. And for what reason? Suddenly Newt didn't feel so bad for all the dead scientist around them. 

Thomas spotted a red button under the screen he was looking at. It kept blinking, and without anything else to do, he pressed it. 

"Hello," came a voice. The Gladers looked up and saw a video of a middle aged blonde woman dressed in all white come into focus. 

"My name is Dr. Ava Paige, I'm the Director of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully completed the Maze Trials." 

By now the Gladers had all gathered around the screen, completely engrossed in what this woman was saying. 

"I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you, but circumstances seem to have prevented that. I'm sure by now you must be very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world." 

Images of burning landscapes filled the screens. Trees, buildings, even people on consumed in flames. 

"Billions of lives lost to fire, famine, suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable."