Chapter 7

The picture above is the dress that Delilah chose for prom.

------------------------------------------

"We should've come much earlier mum. Look!" I point to all the boutiques. The racks were empty with tags that says '30% discount off all dresses'. I just couldn't find any left. It was really disappointing.

We continued to walk and we came upon a newly opened boutique called 'Laced'. The concept was similar to my room. Pastel colors, lacy stuff, doilies and everything feminine and neutral. The dresses were all in nude and pastel colors and I saw one on a mannequin. It was a nude dress with an off-shoulder. The fabric from the bust wrapped itself around the body down to the waist. The dress reached just right above the knees, it was flowy. Similar to the dress I wore during the talent show.

I ran up in excitement to the salesgirl asking for the price of it. "This dress is sold for USD 200. If you buy the bangles and pumps that come with it, you'll get a discount of 20%."

"It's still expensive at USD 160. Could you decrease a little more?" I plead to the salesgirl.

"The most that I can give you is at the price of USD 150." she replies straight out.

"...Forget it then-" I turn and walk away. Full of disappointment in me.

"Here darling. This is not your senior prom but, I want you to go there looking beautiful wearing beautiful dresses, accessories and shoes. Not wearing hand-me-downs." My mum says as she stops me in my tracks while giving me her credit card.

"Mum...thank you." I give her a hug. I slip the card in my pocket and have the salesgirl get the dress off the mannequin. She passes it to me giving me a gentle smile. I smile back and run off into the fitting room.

I slip on the dress and it fits and hugs my body perfectly. It reaches just above my knees, just like the mannequin. I fell in love with it instantly. I paired it with a golf bangle and black pumps. I looked at myself in the mirror.

I looked simple and beautiful, which was exactly what I looked for in dresses. Plain dresses paired with accessories to make everything pop!

I changed back into my oversized round neck white tee, cuffed blue jeans ,put my long owl necklace back on and I wear my loafers.

I pay the salesgirls through my mum's awesome credit card. She scans it and folds the dress prettily and stuffs it into a paper bag with their logo on it.

****************************

"Good morning Mr. Jimmy." I said cheerfully to the bus driver.

"Good morning Delilah." he smiles at me sweetly as I get on the bus.

I sit at my usual seat, this time the other kids greet me other than stare at me all the time. I lay head on the window pane and I doze off within seconds.

What is this feeling? Why is there something warm on me? I open my eyes and Charlie is kissing me. I widen my eyes in shock as I push him away. I wipe my mouth with my sleeves and I close my mouth with both my hands.

"What are you doing?" I mumble though my mouth.

"Waking you up." Charlie replies me casually.

"You could've just shaken me awake or you know flick me on the forehead!" I protest at him.

"You think I didn't do that? I shook you, flicked you and even pulled your hair. But surprisingly, you were still sleeping after all that. So I thought of kissing you, and hey! It worked! I should do that more often when you doze off, plus your lips are really sweet." he teased me.

I slapped him on the head. "No! Seriously, my mouth is sweet? That's disgusting!"

"Fine. I rest my case." He puts his hands up.

I stare at him with my my mouth open. "Aren't you going to get down?" he calls out to me.

I'm brought back into reality as he calls me. I check my rose gold watch and it's...CRAP! The tardy bell rang as I quickly grabbed my bag and ran down the steps of the bus. I tripped, and being caught in the arms by Charlie. He pushes me back in the steps to make me stand again.

"Seriously, watch your step." he exclaims and walks off.

******************

I ran through the hallways, making loud squeaky sounds with my sneakers. I bash into the door of Mr Harold's class. Everyone is staring at me. I lock eyes with Soo Young whom I've not talked to since the talent show, which was like two days ago.Furthermore, Charlie's football match is just 2 days away. She quickly removes her stare with me and looks down at her notebook. Mr. Harold is smiling at me, sarcastically.

"Good morning Delilah. Great day isn't it?"

"Yes Mr. Harold. I'll be going to detention later since I am late for class." I bow a 90 degree bow at him and I walk up to my seat. That kept him in his place considering his now speechless face. I sit beside Soo Young. She pushes her stuff to the opposite side of me, she combs her hair to the side covering her face from mine. Woah, she's either really scared of me or embarrassed.

Classes go on as usual, except for the fact that I have detention for 40 minutes after school.

As soon as class ends, I grab my backpack and my books in hand to leave for the next subject. Before I old walk away from my seat, Soo Young grabs me by the wrist and pulls me down so I'm seated again.

"Could we talk?" she asks rather quietly.

"Sure. But not now. I have to go to Ms. Findlay's class and you know damn well how she reacts to tardy students."

I say as I shake my wrist to remove Soo Young's grip. She looks down in disappointment.

I think for a moment about what I said to her, but I leave anyways. This was really horrible of me to do so, I wanted to make her fell what I felt when she left me during the talent show.