Chapter 18

Hiccup was no where near feeling back to normal, but after a month in the castle, he could walk around with no help from Merida.

Sure, there was still a limp and his body sometimes hurt when he took in a breath, but other than that.

Merida was usually loud, obnoxious, and playful, but today it was different.

Hiccup woke up and the warmth she usually gave when they slept was gone. He rolled over and found her gone. He sat up, looking around.

After he was well enough to walk up the stairs without passing out, they moved to a spare bedroom upstairs. It was the only bedroom with a fireplace. They still hung out in the great hall by the huge fireplace, however.

Hiccup got up, shivering slightly as he bent down to pick up the cards strewn on the ground from a spontaneous game of fifty-two card pickup. That had strangely ended with them kissing. Weird.

He walked downstairs, spotting Merida by the fireplace, poking the burning logs with the poker. Her legs were tucked up to her chest and her hair was even wilder than usual.

He sat down next to her, yawning slightly. She didn't acknowledge that he was there. No sarcasm. No half smile. No greeting.

"Good morning," Hiccup said with a smile. She raised her hand slightly, not looking.

"Are you okay?"

"Today's my birthday."

"Happy Birthday! Shouldn't you be happy? You're 19!"

"It's also my mum's birthday."

Hiccup was silent. He wasn't sure how to reply. Cautiously he put his arm around her. She leaned in closer, resting her head on his shoulder.

Despite the fact that he had probably done this a hundred times, he still felt giddy. A beautiful girl in his arms. He could probably stay like that forever.

But, he had a job to do.

"I'll be right back," Hiccup said, kissing her cheek. He couldn't tell in the firelight, but it seemed like she blushed.

That morning, he worked and worked in the kitchen. Despite the fact he could barely cook chicken, he managed to put together a birthday lunch.

"Close your eyes," he said, making sure she was facing the fireplace. Once they were closed, he placed all the food out behind her.

"Okay, turn around, and open them."

Merida gasped, making Hiccup smile. He had managed to cook the last of their rabbit from yesterday and found a jar of preserved peaches. She had said once that they were her second favorite fruit. They sometimes snuck into town and sneakily milked a cow for milk. He had done just that, and using a whisk, whisked to a light cream, like she had done once before.

"What do you think?" he asked.

"It's wonderful. Thank you." She kissed his cheek and they sat down to eat.

Halfway through their lovely lunch, Arian Glas came in from her hunt. She was still searching for Toothless, and Hiccup hoped against hope that he was still alive out there somewhere.

After lunch, they played a game of chess. The winner was always Merida, as he had never played before this. But despite all of his losses, he was getting better.

The rest of the day, the two of them lounged around, silent. Merida was still down, and Hiccup didn't know what else he could do to cheer her up.

That night, he had another nightmare.

He stood over the man, his own sword stuck in his body. There was so much blood. He was dying, by his own hand. His last breath wouldn't be when he was old and when he had lived a long, good life.

The man's face morphed into that long haired man who had captured him in the woods. He was sneering, waving a hand to the big man who stood by a table, sharpening a large knife.

The scary knife man picked up his smallest blade. It was barely bigger than his thumb. But he pressed it all the way into Hiccup's shoulder and began to drag it across his body. He screamed in pain, nearing the point of explosion.

Hiccup sat up, breathing hard and sweating. That dream came every night, always the same. Usually he could just go back to sleep, not bothering Merida. But tonight, she stirred, sitting up.

"Hiccup? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, go back to sleep."

She rubbed her eyes, grabbed his arm, and pulled him down with her. She held his hand tightly, resting her head against his chest.

Hiccup was able to close his eyes and fall asleep. Who knew the cure to a bad thought was simply a girl in a nightgown and messy curly hair?