Chapter 7

Merida dropped into the secret passageway through the floor. Her brothers climbed in after her, putting the floor back in its proper place. They were hiding from their mum. Merida would be forced to be with the men, and the boys would be forced to take lessons.

They tried not to giggle as they moved as quietly as they could through the castle. Finally, they made it outside.

Merida gestured for them to follow, and they ran to a wagon that was about to leave. They hid in the back, and off they went.

The wagon went into town. The four of them jumped out before the owner could notice that he unknowingly smuggled part of the royal family out of the castle.

They ran through the streets, stopping behind a book store to catch their breath.

"Listen," Merida began. "That wagon goes back to the castle in three hours. Here's some money, you have to pay me back! Meet me back here in two and a half hours. Got it?"

The brothers nodded an ran off, probably towards some dessert place.

Merida pulled her hair back and under a scarf she brought. No one would know she was the princess from her fiery red curls if they were tucked away and hidden.

She wandered through the streets, stopping occasionally to watch dances or listen to music. After a great deal of walking, she found the perfect shop.

It was tucked in the corner of the street, window dusty and paint chipping. The faded words read Madame Widchetta's Wonderful Store!

Merida stepped inside. A bell rang somewhere, and no one was behind the counter. This meant she could explore without interruption.

Oh, that store had everything. Mirrors, books, brushes, hair pins, clothes, cloaks, musical instruments, bags, wood carvings, and weapons.

Bows, swords, spears, shields, knives, and daggers.

She held up one dagger to the little light that made it in through the window. Its handle was black with a silver celtic knot design. The word "Love" was engraved into the lade with loopy writing.

"That belonged to a girl like you," came a creaky voice. Merida turned and saw an old woman dusting a display.

"What do you mean?"

"Years ago, a princess was given that dagger by her mother. She never had a reason to use it until a man crossed her path. He was tied up, and she cut him free. They became lovers. But her parents opposed the match, so she and her lover used the dagger to kill a guard and sneak away into the night."

Merida stared at the dagger. Kill a man? How could anyone do that? Even for love?

Gently, she put the dagger back on its display. She picked up a different dagger. It was smaller than to first, the blade barely longer than her hand. It had a brown handle and no design. But the word "Brave" was carved into the blade. The writing was thick and formal.

"That dagger has yet to have a story," the old woman said, a small smile on her face.

Merida tested it, swishing it back and forth and over her hand. The balance was perfect.

"How much?"

"Nothing. I want you to pick out one more thing. I am closing soon and I need to get rid of this stuff."

Merida ran her hands over the objects, stopping at a long, black cloak made of a soft material.

"If you unpin this, it becomes a big blanket," the old woman said, undoing a little pin. More black material fell to the floor. When she held it out, it was wide and long, a very perfect blanket.

"Now shoo! You'll be late meeting your brothers!"

Merida ran out the door. It wasn't until she stopped behind the book store that she began to wonder how the woman knew she was meeting her brothers.

He brothers arrived in the nick of time, faces covered with powder and other sticky things. She tried to wipe off their faces as best she could so they wouldn't be found out.

The wagon sat idly in front of them. The driver sat up front, getting ready to go. They took their chance and ran into it, getting comfortable for the ride home.

Off they went. Staying silent while they bounced along the rough path. Merida jumped off first, and her brothers quickly followed suit.

"I expect my money by tonight!" she called after them. With swift movement, she pulled on the cloak, checking to make sure it was pinned up. She tucked her dagger into the belt she happened to be wearing today, grabbed her bow, and rode off with Angus.

Hiccup was waiting. Merida smiled, jumping off and greeting Arian Glas.

"Your saddle is done, Your Majesty," he said, holding it up. Of she hadn't been amazed by the saddle, she definitely would have punched him.

"Oh," was all she could manage.

Hiccup showed her how to put the saddle on Arian Glas, who, by the way, only stayed still for Merida. There was a traveling pouch, perfect for storing food for picnics, and a slot for her bow. It had straps so it wouldn't fall out, but she could just grab it and go without having to undo the straps.

"I call it, velcro," Hiccup explained.

"Velcro? How did you come up with that?"

"I was flying Toothless, and it was quiet. The wind was barely whispering and we were so high, there was no birds. All of a sudden, I heard this deep voice say, 'Hiccup. You know your amazingly cool invention? You must name it velcro.' And so I did!"

Merida just laughed, shaking her head.

They took to their dragons, leaving poor Angus behind, and flew higher and higher.

Merida could lose herself up in those clouds, but the setting sun reminded her that she had to get home.

"You need to make up a call for Arian Glas. Dragons have very good hearing. Toothless can hear my call from the other side of Berk, and that's a very long ways."

She thought for a moment, then whistled a high, two note tune. Arian Glas perked up and walked over, nudging her legs.

"Now you can call for your dragon!"

"Thank you so much!" Merida gave him a hug, which became awkward very quickly. She stepped back, trying not to blush.

"See you tomorrow?" Hiccup asked.

"See you tomorrow."