Chapter 13

Merida walked around the castle with the idiots. She should've been listening to whatever they were saying, but she was distracted.

She had kissed Hiccup. She had actually kissed Hiccup. Hiccup had actually kissed her.

Despite having gotten very little sleep, Merida managed to get through the morning. She had snuck back in and gotten into bed minutes before her mum knocked and told her to get up. That was a refreshing morning.

The idiots were being idiots. She still didn't understand why her mum expected her to pick one of them. She knew from stories that when her mum had to pick her husband, the choice was more diverse than this.

Merida made it back to the hall without strangling them. She retreated to her room for a little bit, collapsed on her bed. She fell asleep instantly.

That evening, she attended dinner still bleary eyed. Her mum forced her to take individual walks with each idiot. Dingwall and MacGuffin were tolerable, but Macintosh was horrible.

He boasted about this and that while Merida politely nodded. They were nearing the hall again when he suddenly pinned her against the wall, covering her mouth.

"You sneak off every afternoon, Princess. It can't just be because of your archery. Are you meeting someone? A secret lover?"

Merida stepped on his foot. Hard. He jumped away and she ran for the hall. Once she arrived at the doors, she paused, slowed her breathing, and entered calmly.

No one questioned anything, and Macintosh didn't report her to her mum. The night went right on.