Chapter 6

Hiccup didn't need to tie a rope to Arian Glas, she just followed him back. Toothless was playing what looked like tag when he left them in the valley.

That night, he stayed up late working on the saddle. Something drove him to work and work and get it perfect. It was just a saddle, a saddle for a Scot. Why did he have to waste sleep time making it?

It wasn't done when he nearly passed out a few hours before dawn, but he had to stop and hide the evidence before Gobber arrived.

Hiccup stumbled to his house and then to his bed, where he passed out without taking his shoes off.

The next morning, well, the next noon, he woke up. Not that anyone noticed he had slept in all morning. Astrid walked past him while he was headed out of town.

"Hey Astrid," he said, smiling. She glanced at him with a hard and cold expression. His smile disappeared, and she continued on her way.

Something odd happened. Usually, Hiccup felt his heart crack a little when she looked at him that way. He usually felt it get closer to the tipping point, then back away from the ledge whenever he saw her.

This time, his heart felt different. It didn't crack, or even move closer to the ledge. It stayed exactly where it was, and that itself was the most bizarre thing that had ever happened, more so then meeting a Scot and learning archery from her.

Arian Glas was lounging in the shade of the rocks, growling when Hiccup tried to get her to move. He left her alone and hopped on Toothless, flying as fast as he could.

Merida was waiting for him, mumbling while she ripped up leaves that had started to fall. Her face was angry, and on every murmured word, she tore up part of a leaf.

"Come on. I know that everyone hates summer ending, but you don't have to take it out on the leaves."

She jumped a little, but continued ripping the last leaf. Once it was reduced to tiny shreds, she stood up, brushing the leftover leaves off her dress.

"Let's get started."

Hiccup took longer to knock his arrows than she did, but at least today he was hitting the target every time. They weren't perfect, but it was better than last time.

Merida seemed to shoot like she was aiming at someone rather than the target. After her arrows ran out, she stomped over and forcefully pulled the arrows out. It was a miracle they didn't break.

Hiccup stayed away from her. He had never seen her angry before, and this was a side of her he never wanted to get on. She went to the stream, shooting fish and then shoving them on to sticks like she was killing them again.

Only after the fire had been burning for a while and the fish were eaten did he speak up.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, most people who are perfectly fine don't answer the question with gritted teeth."

She glared at him, then sighed and slumped over, defeated.

"My mum has decided that I need to marry one of the tribe's sons. But I hate them all! Dingwall is off in la-la-land all the time and I've never heard him speak. I don't understand a word MacGuffin says, even if I did he mumbles all the time and doesn't even look at me. And don't get me started on Macintosh."

Hiccup whistled, leaning forward slightly.

"So, just to clear this up, you don't love any of them? And your mom is still forcing you to choose one?"

"You are not helping whatsoever!" Merida stood up, drew her sword, and started hacking at a nearby tree. Hiccup watched her, wide eyed.

The fire had turned to coals when she was done. She dropped her sword and sat back down on her respected rock, head in her hands.

Hiccup sat there, watching her. He had no idea what he could possibly do to make her feel better. He looked up at the clouds, which were turning orange in the sunset.

"Once I flew up to the clouds," he began. "I expected them to be higher than they actually were. In reality, it took Toothless less than a minute to get to them. I reached my arm up to touch them. My hand became really cold and kind of wet, but it made wisps of the cloud trail off behind me. My hand was numb by the end of that cloud alone. I nearly fell off Toothless because I could barely hold on. It was an amazing thing."

He snuck a glance at Merida. She was looking up at the clouds as well, still and calm.

"Thanks Hiccup. That actually helped," she said, standing up.

"No problem," he replied, rubbing the back of his head. They put out the fire and parted ways.

Hiccup worked late into the night, finally finishing her saddle. It was wonderful, fit with closed pouch she could put things in and a place for her weapons.

With thoughts of clouds as red as Merida's hair, he fell asleep.