A shudder passed through me. 

I noticed that Nat’s face had gone white. 

“Four of his men were dead. There were twenty-eight total.” Another man spoke. His eyes were staring at his full tray solemnly. “As far as we know, Chi’s alive. But not for long.”

“Who did it?” I whispered. 

“We don’t know.”

A loud crack sounded to my right. 

Nat had snapped his tray in half. His body shook and his face began to heat up in anger. Jaw muscles straining as he gritted his teeth, Nat’s eyes were focused ahead. I tentatively reached my fingers out and brushed his arm, but he jerked back sharply. 

“Nat….” An Asian man who hadn’t spoken much before sent him a cautious look. “Take a deep breath.”

“No,” his voice was barely above a whisper, but the anger was evident in each syllable. “This is too far. This shit ends now. I’m going to find the bastard that killed Chi, and slit his throat, along with every single damn bastard on this plantation.”

“Wishful thinking, amigo,” the Hispanic muttered irritably, “But don’t you think we would’ve done that by now if we could? It’s not as easy.”

“I don’t care.” Nat stood up from the table. “I’m done. They’ve gone too far now. We’ve talked about a rebellion for years, and what have we done? Watched man after man get slaughtered. This is it. This is war.”

Nat stormed out of the Mess Hall, not caring who was in his way. My eyes followed his retreating body until he disappeared out the door. His neglected broken tray sat next to me. The food slid out and onto the table in a yellow mess. 

“He’s going to get himself killed.” The African man shook his head solemnly. 

“He’s right though,” I said, “It’s time to take a stand for what you believe in. Nat’s not thinking logically right now, but his words were true.”

“And how do you propose we do this?” Another man asked. 

I bit my lip, my heart beat racing. “I’ve got a theory, and I think we should put it to the test.”

The Hispanic rolled his eyes, “Oh great. Another idiot who thinks she can save the human race with a pathetic little plan. Save it, chica.”

“You don’t even know—”

“He’s right,” The Africa interjected, “You don’t know the ropes here like we do.”

“But—”

“I said save it!” 

“No,” the Asian man said softly. I noted how he was older than the others sitting around the table. “Let her talk. I’d like to hear what she has to say.”

I was getting an opportunity?

Nat hadn’t been lying when he thought my plan wouldn’t be taken seriously, but I was grateful that one man was at least giving me the option to present it. 

I had faith, and I knew I wouldn’t abuse this moment. 

He sent me an encouraging smile and nodded for me to continue. 

I glanced over my shoulder to where Nat had disappeared before finally beginning my explanation on how to save humanity.

~*~

I hadn’t seen Nat since he left after dinner. 

I hadn’t bothered to search for him either.