Heartbeats

Lan Wangji

"Your golden core was never restored! The only reason you believe it was restored was because my sister, Wen Qing, pulled out Young Master Wei's core and give it to you!" Wen Ning shouted to the Clan Leader Jiang Cheng, however, the words echoes inside Lan Wangji as it were ferocious thunders in a storm raging night.

Give it to you, give it to you... Lan Wangji looked down to the handsome young man he was dearly holding like his life depend of it, as tears go down his cheeks. The words had deeply shock him all the way down to the very center of his being, because it was almost unthinkable for anyone who follow the path of cultivation to actually transfer the source of their spiritual power to someone else and even more so in such a selfless way.

Wei Ying... Wei Wuxian... you... what you did... I... To be honest with himself, he could not even master the words inside his mind out of astonishment for finding out, the one he had once told his brother to be his soul mate, did what no one else had dare. Pain clinched his heart like if pierced with hundreds of needless, even more so when he saw the man he had undoubtedly fell in love with, fall to his death.

Back then, he had silently cry and mourn his death, minding not about his physical pain after his punishment, nor his confinement for three years. He had reflected about his actions, but it had been more so in what he could had done to prevent Wei Ying form ending in the way he did. Now, knowing about Wei Ying losing his golden core, both guilt and love assaulted his heart tenfold.

Guilt, because he had been one of those who had been against him learning to cultivate with an orthodox method, when in reality, the Yiliang Patriarch had no other choice to defend himself and those he loved. Guilt, because he had try for Wei to use his sword, to keep up the path of swordmanship, when he didn't have the spiritual power to wield Suibian for more than a fraction of time. Guilt because the man in his arms loved in such a way, that he would throw away without a second thought what was most precious to him.

He had seen him sacrifice himself over and over again every time there was the need for someone to be save. The cave of the ancient tortoise, in which he save Mian Mian and the rest of his generation young cultivators, Jiang Cheng when he was capture and ripped from his golden core in the conquered Lotus Pier, the few Wen Clan family members that remained imprison after the defeat of Wen Rohan, Wen Ning, Jin Ling, the juniors of the Lan Clan back in the Mo family home, the juniors members of the different Clans in Yi City, the Sect Leaders in the Burial Mounds just a few hours ago, even when they were set to kill him and so many others that it was actually hard to keep him out of troubles and protect him against the cultivator world or even his own family.

Love, because how could he not love him? Ever since the beginning, Wei Ying has change his life, with his mischievous teasing way, plugging him out of the darkness he was not aware he was living in, to had a taste of the light he brings around. He felt more free every time Wei Ying was by him and his heart was torn apart as he see him go down the darkness he horned to survive in such a cruel world, scarifying everything he had to protect those he care for. Love, because Wei Ying had conquer his heart in record time beyond salvation and more so now, when his admiration for him was the highest.

He glanced at Jiang Cheng and an unmistakable rage surged to the surface. That man had always envy his brother, to the point it was hard to watch, yet Wei Ying had silently swallow his insults and insinuations, even when he was set in throw him away from the Clan and his life. As tears still ran down his checks, he grabbed Bichen with more strength that needed and strike the wooden floor with force. This was the point in which he no longer will tolerate anyone to hurt Wei Ying, no matter who it was, whatever it came from his own Clan or anyone else.