U-Z

The following day in the middle of a History lesson, Luke messaged you.

1:50pm (1) Luke:

I know u said wait til after to school to look. But I looked. And wtf, there’s nothing listed for U.

1:52pm (1) Outgoing:

Seriously!? This list ain’t all that it’s cranked out to be

1:53pm (1) Luke:

I looked ahead, and for V there’s voyeurism. Watching others have sex ;)

1:56pm (1) Outgoing:

Ew, who will we watch?

1:57pm (1) Luke:

It’s not ew. We’ll just watch porn together.

Luke was keen, keen, kEEN, all until you actually got to his room and he flicked open his laptop to search for some porn. You were both sitting cross legged on his bed, staring at the video he brought up to look at. His initial eagerness crumpled and then faded like dust into the air the longer that you watched the sex taking place on the screen.

“You know what, fuck this” he declared after a minute and half in, slamming the lid of the laptop down, chucking into onto the carpet and pushing you down backwards onto his mattress. His hand cupped your face as his chest made contact with your breasts, “The only naked girl that can get me horny is you.”

-

It didn’t occur to either of you that you were nearing the end. The final few letters were dodgy and as you looked on you realised that there was nothing for W or Y. And the kink for X was Xenophilia; strangers. But you and Luke weren’t strangers at all. Actually, you the complete opposite. So that wouldn’t work.

“Is there anything for Z at least,” you wondered, crossing your fingers in your mind and wishing that would be something so that this didn’t have to end.

“Yeah, actually,” Luke responded, “there is.”

“Well,” you insisted, “read it then.”

“It’s long,” he said, “it looks… really weird.”

“I don’t care.”

“Okay. Okay,” he begun, “Z. Zeal. Earnestness or fervour in advancing a cause. A hearty and persistent endeavour; passion, devotion, fondness, fervour. Go and pursue it.”

Luke’s mouth hung slightly open, gaping at the screen. For some reason the words made your heart start beating inside your head, and each pound made you think deeper and deeper upon the words.

You thought back to the beginning of this list, and why you and Luke begun. It was just for fun, really. Two best friends going a bit further and getting a little adventurous. But amongst it, you’d done all of those things associated with zeal.

Yes, there had been passion. You’d felt it clawing inside of you every time the two of you touched. Yes, there’d been devotion. Each day you’d been giving up hours to do this. Yes, there was fondness. The more time that you were spending with Luke, the more affectionate and tender you’d gradually become to one another. And yes, there was fervour. You felt everything positive when you were around him.

Why hadn’t you ever noticed this before? Not a lot had changed in your relationship, except you were now more intimate with each other.

There wasn’t exactly obvious ‘love’ between you two. It wasn’t a moment of first glance and you decided that he was the one. And there were no fireworks every time you kissed. Everyone knew that you were just best friends, so nobody ever brought up that maybe you should be more. There’d been no clear signs in your life that Luke was the one, and that you should be together for eternity.

But why couldn’t you be?

Maybe it’s not necessary to be the cliché cupids-in-love couple. Maybe it was alright to be dating, and still poking fun at each other. Making jokes constantly. Ditching insults at one another. Maybe for you two it wasn’t about being suckers in love.

It might just be about getting along, and having fun.

There is no textbook that directly defines what love is. So there was no reason why, for both of you, love couldn’t be a mixture of joy and lust, and just being able to be comfortable with one another.

“Hey,” Luke took your attention, his expression was philosophical, like he’d been thinking the same stuff as you just had, “Do you reckon we should actually be girlfriend and boyfriend?”

“Yeah,” you responded, “yeah, I actually think we should.”