Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 1/4)

Start from the beginning

          He sighed as awe filtered to familiarity. Finding the heart of the forest sounded like it would be a big deal to some people. Grant it the sight was a wonder to behold, but he wasn't 'some people'.

          The biggest deal on his plate was finding Zalius Whitecrown's illusive journal, and he was having his doubts about it being buried anywhere near the alien tree surrounded by glow stick water.

          Ready to turn back in defeat, Káel prepared a salty grumble to toss Phantom. But the shadow he'd kept in his corner vision proved to be a little brighter than Phantom's, ripping a screech from his throat when he glanced at the pasty guest.

          As he stumbled butt first into the sloshing shallows, Puff joined his course in equal fright, two soggy guests staring in wide eyed shock at the grinning spirit come to life.

          Or as close as Zalius Whitecrown's cold dead fingers could get to it.

          "If you do that... One more time," Káel panted, waiting for his heart to stop racing while the water seeped through his clothing.

          Zalius grinned, stretching out his hand to help Káel up.

          "Yeah, you're a ghost I get it, I'm not gonna fall for that trick again," Káel growled, getting to his feet and shaking the mud off his hands. "This glow water had better not be poisonous."

          Puff warbled in distaste as he crawled out of the pool, his cross warbles flattening to worry as he inspected Zalius, the spirit now crouching to stretch his hand for Puff to sniff it.

          Blue lipped and pale as parchment, death didn't suit the fallen monarch well. His cheeks were sharper than the drawings from a starved sink, with the blackened bags under his eyes accentuating the vibrant violet filling his irises. The last of his regality was left to a emblemed cloak hugging his body, the same one from Káel's dreams with two tiny rips peeking through the back.

          The dark cloud in Káel's mind nearly blotted out the sight of Zalius petting Puff, the ghost's fingers pressing at the dragon's soft fur as he let out an obnoxious purr. 

          He was physical.

          Káel backed away when Zalius straightened himself, ready to run as fast as his feet would let him if he'd accidentally stumbled across a flesh eating dream ghoul. The smile creeping onto Zalius cheeks only paled his in return, every horrible end to his decision slowly creeping up on him as the creature waved for him to follow.

          He watched Zalius walk off, steps sloshing through water and crushing leaves in an incredibly unghostly manner.

          Hell no.  

          Káel swallowed. 

          It was good to follow your dreams. 

          Unless said dreams involved midnight strolls through alien infested forests, following a walking corpse into the dark.

          "He won't hurt you," Phantom said, bent to Káel's eye level like a pampering parent as he lifted his voice to a mock. "Since when did a little ghost give you a fright?"

          "I'm not scared," Káel retorted, hesitation sinking its spidery fingers into his stomach when he glanced at Zalius' hollowed eyes. 

          He knew the lie didn't work. Zalius was absolutely terrifying in person. 

          "I'm just surprised he can... touch things," Káel whispered, earning the usual pitying chortle from Phantom.