Chapter 8: The Wrath of the Queen (Part 2/2)

The Queen charged with blind rage at the creature, and the thick black claws dug into the dirt, barely budging as the Queen hit it with the bulk of its mass. Káel slowly lifted his head to get a look at his saviour, watching as the Vidaean caught the Queen's horn in its menacing antlers and dragged its head into a tree with a hollowed thwack. 

          The Queen didn't give in, tearing its horn from the interlacing bones and attempting to rise above its opponent by standing on its hind legs and throwing out its front hooves to hit the Vidaean square in the face. That was the only attack it managed to get off however, as the Vidaean ducked down and scooped the Queen's front half up, effortlessly ramming it against the closest tree and slamming the flailing warhorse sized unicorn to the ground. It let out a hissing grunt as the Queen snorted and barked out feral growls, pinning its neck and pressing the thick black talons into its throat.

           Káel watched as the once terrifying beast that tried to mow him down stopped flailing, the dark hostility in its eyes softening with a small whimper as it begged for its life. The Vidaean waited a couple painful seconds, giving the Queen a sharp snort as it got off its opponent and stood over Káel again, daring the monster to try at a second go as it rolled to its feet.

          To Káel's surprise it dipped its head in surrender, slowly turning away with a contemptuous snort and skulking back up the hill. Káel rose to his feet, looking at the familiar pink scar running across the Vidaean's nose with a heaving sigh of relief.

          He dipped his head respectfully, and for once on this planet, gave his saviour a genuine smile. "Thanks for saving me, I owe you one."

          He couldn't tell if the Vidaean was glaring at him with its narrowed eyes, or wincing from the smack it received to the nose. Regardless, it looked less than pleased with his presence off the trails, so Káel decided to avoid irritating it further. He turned to walk up the hill and trace his steps back to the trail, but froze when a spike of pain shot up his leg. He scrunched up his face and groaned, gently taking another step.

          The Vidaean clocked him on the head with the tip of its horn, and when it gained his attention it snorted and lowered its front half to the ground, offering a ride.

          "Thanks," Káel sighed, gently climbing onto its back.

    —————    

          While riding the Vidaean, he made sure the creature he rescued was still alive. It was still limp as a mop in his arms, reminding him that he'd ripped the paralysing flower right above its head.

          One of its long fluffy white ears had a deep gash, and there were multiple dirty scrapes and bruises covering its entire body, but nothing life threatening that Káel could see. There was also a chipped metal cuff around its right paw, and judging by the fractured stump of metal sticking out of one side, it was definitely attached to a chain at some point.

          In all, the creature was weird. It had a long tail with a tuft of extra long fur at the end. Four furry, cat-like paws with dirty white nails, two long white floppy ears, and a pair of drooping wings. He also noticed two stubby horns poking out of its head through the thick patches of mud and leaves, which looked pretty cute when paired with its pudgy little nose.

          The Vidaean knew exactly where it was going, and found the trail in no time. Káel was expecting it to boot him off there, but it kindly continued down the path retracing the trail to the forests entrance.

          It wasn't long before the girl came running down the path, and stopped in front of Káel with a gaping expression. Mrs. Vienta came charging around the corner moments later, and nearly collapsed with relief when she saw him.