Chapter 20: The Art of War (Part 1/5)

—————

I'm currently rewriting this whole chapter, so the 1/5 parts will likely (hopefully) be cut down to 1/4 or 1/3. 

Cobalt needs to lose some weight, so I'm putting it through literary keto.

—————

          It had been well over two weeks when Jeremiah returned, letter in tow and a flurry of unwarranted head bats ready for Puff. Káel's guardian was not the only downcast individual however, Ray had disappeared again, and with him, Káel's estimate in getting home.

          Phantom had entirely given up on cheering up Káel after the first week had exhausted, his superficially joyous tone returning like a dead flashlight in a dark forest. 

          Káel sighed as he unfolded the letter, hoping his uncle wouldn't gloss over Puff for a third time in a row. His uncle wasn't the type to miss details unless he wanted to, and if he was purposely ignoring Káel's question then leaving Puff in his care wouldn't stand as a good idea. 

          He glanced at his roommate's empty bed with a disappointed frown. He'd asked Truvius as soon as the idea hit him, but along with being incredibly allergic to the drake, he simply didn't have the money to give Puff a good home.

          At least that's how he'd put it.

          With no hope in his mind Káel pulled his full attention to the contents of the letter, his smile dropping at the first line.

Dear Silly Nephew,

There is no need for me to partake in caring for your little furry friend, seeing as you will not be returning to Earth. As I said before, your kidnapper is lying, and this is the last I will repeat of it. I am well versed in most of this planet's new technology, and there is no Zodraic powered artifact in existence that can transport you between worlds. I'm still looking into how he captured you and I'm sure I will find an explanation to his devious ways, even if I must extract it from him with my bare hands.

Worry not however, I will wait until you have exhausted your friendship with this cretin to resort to my methods, seeing as your comfort and wellbeing is on the higher end of my priorities. Once again, take care of your seemingly loyal guardian, he'll be with you for awhile, at least until, or more accurately speaking, if, you are graced with a chance to use an ancient portal, or find some ludicrous way to coax a god into abiding to your wishes. Then and only then will you be able to return to the place you call home. Not to, as Earthly culture may put it, rain on your parade my dear nephew, but this is the truth.

Now, speaking of your return trip, you've kept that Zodraic Battery safe I presume? I must stress the fact that although broken beyond repair it was quite authentic. I'd hate to suddenly find myself in any sort of bothersome trouble because you were careless with it. Broken or not they are still illegal in most areas and I value my public image.

Anyways, I will return to my important duties now, I wish you the best. Try to have fun in your new home and don't dwell on your lost life on Earth, or your kidnapper's cruel lies. Be sure to give me a cue when I can finally get my hands on him.

Sincerely, your uncle, Staz

          "You have one charming uncle." Phantom's voice was heavy with apathetic amusement as he snooped over Káel's shoulder. "I almost feel sorry for Blondie... Almost."