Chapter 25: A Sprinkle of Pixie Dust (Part 2/4)

—————

Guess who's still alive?

Not me. But I can update now!

 —————

          Dear Nephew,

          Pardon the tardy reply. 

          I must apologize, for I have failed you. Samanthra anticipated my actions after your outburst and she has your kidnapper under her tricky protection. Perhaps this will stand as a lesson to control your temper and hone a blade of words to attack with.

          This question may stand as abrupt, but other than that incident in which I fully blame the school's security, you haven't been visited nor attacked by anyone else, right? I am simply busy ensuring your welfare, and the sooner I receive an answer, the better. Report any and all oddities to me (and Samanthra).

          Speaking of reporting, Jeremiah will be staying with you for a few weeks, since he is the only way I can gather information on your kidnapper. Please allow him to wander where he wishes at whatever time he wishes, since the information he gathers will be purely for your welfare.

          Anyways, I must wish you farewell, I have my hands full with some unsavoury guests. Take care of yourself, feed Jeremiah, and tell me if you need anything.

          Sincerely, Staz

          (Written by, his careless secretary)

          Káel tossed Jeremiah a cautious squint, the feline glaring back as he sprawled across Truvius' lap like a hungry lion. Phantom was just to Káel's side on his bed, trying to decipher one of the pages of the journal Zalius had marked. Káel didn't know the extent of his cat's intelligence, but he didn't want to risk it being able to read the ancient pages and report it to his uncle, so he was doing everything he could to avoid drawing attention to the object. 

          "He marked a seal breaker," Phantom finally spoke, prompting Káel to discretely flip the page of his notebook to a clear surface to scribble on. "It just needs a few ingredients... a dragon scale... pixie dust." Phantom hummed in hesitation while Káel wrote down the two ingredients, watching the nib of his pencil tap the paper impatiently for him to hurry up. "Some blood..."

          Káel stopped tapping his pencil, making sure Jeremiah wasn't watching him as a he popped an eyebrow at Phantom, scribbling on the paper and flashing it.

          Who's?

          "Yours?" Phantom replied, stiffly motioning to the pile of pillows making up Puff's personal castle. "Or his."

          Káel pursed his lips, adding another question to the parchment.

          How much?

           "Probably just the standard few drops, so the ritual knows who's casting.."

          Káel frowned at his hand, going right back to writing. 

          Anything else?

          "The living branch of a winter tree and some crystalback venom."

          Káel finished the list, his worry lessened by the common sounding ingredients. He had a dragon with a strong supply of scales, a fair amount of his own blood, and just needed some poison, a stick, and magical dust. Better still, he had the perfect person to go to, and the coin to back it up.