Chapter 12: Molve Bait (part 4/4)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look who FINALLY updated!

On a side note: I'm currently attempting a challenge in the form of pumping out a complete novella in a month (and it ain't looking too hot, but I'm trying), so that's the second reason Cobs has been so slow on the updates. The first reason? I'm hella lazy.

However, dear readers, you have my word that this entire novel will be posted eventually. I'll not leave my little boat of fans hanging ;)

~Spooky XOXO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          Cinder chirped happily at the sight of her friend, swooping down onto Puff's head and massaging the scruff of his neck.

          "Oh, whaddya know, Mudbrain is back," Phantom growled.

         "Quiet," Káel ordered, looking around the corner cautiously. "Is it coming this way?"

          "No, it took a right," Phantom quickly replied, pretending to lean against the wall with a heavy sigh. "It's going to the explosion site, but there's another one that might come this way so we'll have to get out of here."

          "Got it."

           Káel lifted his butt, preparing to bolt into another patch of shadows when a shrill call tacked the first nail in his coffin. 

          "Káel!"

          Káel shot his head around at the sound of his name, his snarling glare hardly masked fast enough when he saw his teammates running loudly towards him. He leapt to his feet and shushed them, but it was already too late.

          Phantom sighed, smacking the back of his head against the wall in defeat. "The Molve changed paths. It's coming for us."

          A roar echoed through the halls, its pounding song closing Káel's eyes with a pained wince. Talli clasped her hands over her mouth, her eyes wide with fear, as everyone else flinched in synchronization.

          Káel paid his teammates a dead glare, the words running from his mouth directed at Phantom above anyone else. "We've gotta get out of here. Now."

          A chain of hollowed barks circled the group like a coil of rope, distant ones, but it was a matter of seconds before the noose would tighten.

          They didn't even waste a second in their escape, tumbling down unfamiliar halls as Káel spearheaded the herd with Phantom's instructions. Janiel had taken the rear, and was shooting small sheets of ice on the ground behind them, which proved to have its uses when they heard the tumbling and scratching claws of a Molve losing its balance and kissing the hard floor.

          Káel dared a glance over his shoulder, the burning orange eyes still failing to pierce the veil of black. He was far enough ahead of the group to talk to Phantom without raising suspicion, shooting his friend an urgent stare. "Can you disappear before they see you?"

          "I mean, I can do this." Phantom replied, crisply snapping his fingers as every inch of his body sprouted a thick coat of tendrilly black shadows. When the writhing coat had lingered for a handful of disturbing seconds, they dissipated in the passing air, revealing a masked boy with reddish brown hair running beside him in an identical combat suit to the one he was wearing.