Chapter 30: How to Tear a Dimensional Rift (Part 2/3)

—————

This is the second last part - and I already miss you guys :(

And I didn't even kill anyone yet. Tch.

—————

          Káel only saw his friends when they were walked to a stable full of fierce bronze griffins, unable to even greet them by Mr. Rudas' decree. The silence stretched the journey to twice its length, the dragging time still insufficient for Káel to make a plan. As Phantom had predicted, his brash move of running to Fairez Stella was now biting him in the butt, and with the Council's nosy dog he didn't even have a plan to get the ingredients from Zalius.

          When they landed in Cobalt's field, Káel was holding back his urge to vomit. The nauseating rock upon the beast's back was only trumped by his buzzing leg, and he accepted Ariabella's assistance off the beast when Mr. Rudas offered none. He was lead to the front entrance before any of his friends and even Puff, worry the only emotion plain upon their faces as he looked over his shoulder.

          As they climbed the tiny length of stone steps, Káel swore he felt some of Mr. Rudas' ragged sigh on the back of his neck. "Must we take the front entrance and publicise this mess?"

          "It's the quickest route to the nursing quarters," Samanthra replied, nodding at the two Elites that stood at the opened doors. "My students hardly count as the public. Had you removed your Council colours as requested before arrival, they'd have no idea what is going on."

          "The Council pesters its schools with many trivial visits, they won't think much of us if we don't give them anything to think about,"  Ariabella spoke, immediately slowing at the first sign of Káel's pained wince. "I hope you'll keep your questions short and productive Mr. Rudas, rest is quite important for Mr. Aeric right now."

          They entered the lobby, a few students that had seen the griffins land lingering to satiate some of their curiousity, surprise turning to whispers at the sight of Káel and Ariabella. He passed the time wondering what ludicrous theories they were cooking up. The truth would likely trump every one of them.

          When Mr. Rudas broke from the group to speak with two men robed in white, Káel was rushed through the hoards of spectating students to the nursing quarters, immediately put in front of Ms. Metulas and her disappointed sigh. Without the usual questions she pulled him into a side room, slamming the door in front of a few more white clothed council representatives as they approached. "So, how was our little adventure?"

          Káel felt some comfort with Ariabella's shadow beside him. "Fun."

          She looked at his braced leg, raising her eyebrows. "You kids have some warped sense of entertainment." she waved him to sit on the small bed, taking a knee for a better angle at the contraption as Káel's heart dipped with the fear of her finding the branch. 

          "The bone has been mended, the brace is to be left on until the enchantment runs its course," Ariabella cut in, her sharp voice stopping Ms. Metulas in her tracks. "He just needs medication for the pain and infections."

          "Infections?"

          Ariabella nodded, composed as a rocking sea. "He landed on a jutting stump, if possible his majesty Elisious Aeric would not like his wounds to scar."

          "I'll see what I can do," Ms. Metulas muttered, starting up a green glow on her palms only for the spell to shatter as the door flew open. She cocked her head to Mr. Rudas in the frame, a once over of his getup sprinkling salt into her voice. "Apologies sir, I thought I locked that."