Had the nerve

You grin in exhilaration as the wind and rain whips against your face. You grip the motorbike tighter as you weave in and out of the cars. A cry of joy escapes your lips as you narrowly escape crashing headfirst into a car. A splash of water hits you in the face and you grin maniacally. You swerve into the outside lane and drive dangerously close to the edge of the road.

In your grey clothes you were almost invisible in the fog. This didn't bother you though, it just made it all the more exciting. You raise your hand to wipe the rain of your visor, right as a car crashes into the back of your bike.

Your limp body goes flying into the air and crashes into the fences in the middle of  the road. You smash your head into the hard tarmac and loose consciousness.

[...]

You wake up in a hospital bed with an unfamiliar figure sat next to you. You gasp and shoot upright, scanning your surroundings. The figure next to you jerks awake and stares at you.

"Good. You're awake" She says.

"That sounds friendly" you tease.

She glares at you and rolls her eyes, only earning a grin from you.

"So, who are you?" You ask.

She looks down sheepishly. "I may, or may not be, the person who hit you with a car"

You nod your head. "Nice driving"

She raises an eyebrow. "You know, I could say the same to you, you were all over the road."

"At least I was doing it on purpose" you grin.

You suddenly start coughing and the stranger looks at you in concern. Trying to hold back the coughs, you wave of her concerned look.

"I'll just go and get a doctor" She says quietly.

"No, no don't do that. I'm fine. In fact," you stand up and rip out the IV. "I was just about to leave."

You stagger to the door, leaning on the walls for support. You push of the wall and, for a second, nothing is supporting you. You collapse to the floor and she quickly rushes over to you. Gently, she picks you up and places you on the bed.

You sigh and give in, allowing her to call a doctor. They don't say much, just that you needed to sleep, so you do just that, the stranger holding your hand the entire time.

When you wake up a face is hovering over yours, a worried expression covering it.

"What?" You ask harshly.

"You were, umm, having a nightmare so I woke you up, you don't remember?" A confused expression crosses her face.

You sigh. "Wish I did. Maybe then I would know what happened."

She raises an eyebrow but says nothing.

"My parents died when I was young, no idea how though. In fact they could still be alive, they just kinda disappeared."

She nods her head, an understanding expression on her face.

It was then that you noticed she was lying next to you in the bed, having dropped to the side after you woke.

She seemed to realise this too and started to climb out.

"No, no. Stay, please."

She looks at you for confirmation and you nod. Slipping back under the covers she turns to face you.

"Why didn't you ask if I was ok after the nightmare?" You blurt suddenly.

"You weren't. You can't be after a nightmare, even if you don't remember it." She looks down sadly. "I would know."