Best Day of My Life

The next day Nathan came to pick Marie, Luciana, and me to go to the agency. He came right when we had begun breakfast. My mom pulled him in and made him sit down in the chair beside me. She put some eggs in front of him and he could not refuse. I thought I should tell my parents that we were together.

"Um, mom, dad, Nathan and I have something we need to tell you," I said. Nathan choked on his eggs. "We do?"

My parents had both stopped what they were doing and looked at us.

"The other day Nathan asked me to be his girlfriend," I said.

My parents looked at Nathan but he acted as if nothing was happening.

"You said yes I hope. Nathan is a very nice young man." My mom said.

My dad nodded in agreement. Nathan looked up and smiled.

"I did say yes," I said smiling.

My sisters squealed with delight.

"Maggie has a boyfriend. Maggie has a boyfriend." They taunted while running around the table.

We finished our breakfast in silence. Then we said goodbye and all four of us got in the car. Marie and Luciana in the back, Nathan driving and me in the passenger seat. We drove to the agency. When we got there Marie and Luciana immediately got out of the car and ran to the training room. When Nathan and I entered another agent greeted us.

"Ed wants you in the lounge room." He said then ran off.

Nathan looked at me questioningly and I shrugged. He took my hand and we walked down the long hallways toward the lounge room. When we entered the lounge room all the lights were off. When Nathan turned them on all the agents jumped up and yelled surprise. I looked at Nathan and saw he also had no idea what was going on. We began to walk towards the front of the room where Ed stood. On the way agents congratulated us but we still had no idea what was going on.

We approached Ed and saw that he was smiling. Ed smiled very rarely. We had us stand on either side of him. He held up his hands and the agents quieted.

"These agents are here for their hard work in training and in each of their missions," Ed said. "Today I have the honor of presenting these metals to these new captains!"

I looked at Nathan and he was smiling. This must be a joke I thought. Could this actually be happening? Ed turned to Nathan and presented him with the medal. Nathan thanked him and Ed told him how proud he was of him. Then he turned to me and presented me with the medal.

"I know how much you have always wanted this." He said. "I am very proud of you."

I thanked him. I turned back to the agents and did a little bow. Everyone clapped and cheered. Ed stepped walked towards the food table and everyone began to chat and get food. I turned to Nathan he smiled. I gave him a big hug and kissed him on the cheek. That day was the best day of my life.