Chapter 16

Misha's point of view:

I fell back on my bed as I looked up at the ceiling fan that was slowly picking up speed. Today was well...eventful was the only word I could think of. My heart hadn't really slowed down ever since I came across Ibraheem in the mall. It was such a weird feeling, I was terrified but he had a way of spiraling his words which had a calming effect. I have never talked to a guy for such a long time. I don't know how to describe this feeling.

It felt well like a tick on a bucket list? No, no. This was not a goal for me, it was more like a series of unfortunate events that led to a good ending? Yeah let's think of it like that. I am surprised Humayun was so calm about it all. I was half expecting him to scold me during the car ride but it was awfully calm, we listened to Punjabi songs while eating KFC. Not bad. I rolled around in my bed as I suddenly remembered that I had deleted my Facebook messenger app and so I had to check Ibraheem's messages from morning.

I contemplated whether to download the app again or not but then decided against it. There was a higher chance of be getting caught via my phone than my laptop. I felt a pang of guilt for being sneaky but there wasn't anything else I could do, right? Telling my brothers was not a risk I was willing to take. I could almost feel the grounding coming in that case. No, they wouldn't ground me. God knows what they will do if they found out. I shuddered at the thought. I really need to get rid of this guy.

The moment I logged into my laptop, my laptop pinged multiple times to indicate messages. 13 messages? That's it. He is holding back. I was expecting a lot more given his track record. I clicked on the inbox and then realized that I was right to be suspicious. Those weren't messages. Those were paragraphs. More like threatening warnings. The first one was rather calm but the second one was deadly, it went like:

Why are my messages not being delivered to you? Don't tell me you are going to play me. Nobody plays me Misha Yousaf. Watch yourself. I am only holding back because you agreed to meet me and it's already 2 p.m. meaning you are free from school so I want to know WHY exactly aren't my messages reaching you? It should say 'read' loud and clear. Don't you dare thinking of ditching me now. I am on my way to the mall, I am waiting, text me back when you see this. No surprises. I hate surprises. – Sent at 2:45 p.m.

That was how the second message ended and I gulped as I read the rest of the messages. They were angrier versions of the second message. Very, very angry versions. The twelfth message was the one he had sent me right before he had met me in the mall. It went like:

Look at you, smiling and laughing without a fear in the world. Who the hell is that man with you? I thought you were a conservative girl. So you can't meet with me but you can go shopping with other men? Watch me make a scene now. You think you can stand me up? Me? Think again, Misha Yousaf. Nobody fucks with me. Nobody. Unless they are asking for hell. Oh, so he is your brother. I recognize him. I see. Alright then, I will let you off in this case but you still dared to stand me up so I will make you pay for that. - Sent at 4:12 p.m.

I gulped as I read that message. I had no idea he was this angry. This man had serious issues. May Allah help him. He was even using the F word. The thirteenth and last message was sent just minutes ago indicating that Ibraheem was online. But the message was oddly cheerful and calm which scared me even more. What? Did he have mood swings or something? Is he pmsing or what? May Allah seriously help him, Ameen. The message was cheesy from the start, I had a hard time believing it was the same person who wrote it.

You are so adorable, Misha Yousaf. I loved seeing your varying expressions. You are so unique. So different from the other ones I have come across. Message me when you reach home safely alright? You better or I will come and make sure of it myself. Oh, and what song were you head banging to? P.s your brother didn't say anything to you, did he? – Sent at 5:26 p.m.