Chapter 10

Ibraheem was growing impatient. It was already three days into the week. I was left with Thursday and Friday to decide how and where to meet him. I was pretty clueless and hopeless at this point. I didn't know who to turn to and ask for help plus I had wanted to keep this thing under covers, the more people I involve the, the bigger the issue would get if I get caught.

Too many people, too many questions.

I was sitting on my bed with my legs crossed and my laptop placed in my lap. I was frowning at my screen. Why, you ask? Because Ibraheem was typing.

Well? Are we meeting tomorrow or the day after? I swear, this man does not feel the slightest bit of pity or sympathy. Does he not have any sisters he wants to protect from men or something? Am I the only one going through this entire ordeal? I had to think of something fast to dodge his question.

How old are you anyway? I had hoped this would divert the topic even for a little while so I could come up with something constructive.

21 and don't change the subject. Ugh, he is so annoying.

Alright, how long do you want to meet me for? I was hoping that if it was a quick 20 minute talk then maybe I could think of something swift along those lines.

As long as it takes. Hours probably. Allah, please save me from this man. I don't know where this shaitaan (devil) came from but help me God. I said as I looked up while bringing both my palms together to make dua (wish).

Are you out of your mind? Maybe he was paranoid or something. That was the only way to explain his behavior but then again maybe men were like him. I really wouldn't know.

No, I am quite sane. This annoying pain in the...You cannot curse Misha, it is not worth it.

I am starting to doubt the reality of that. I let my sarcasm drip in every word but I had to hold back so I don't piss him off. He had the upper hand here.

Don't change the subject. When are we meeting? And we are back to this dreaded question.

Seen at 6:45 p.m.

I contemplated whether I should tell him or not. It was a risk I was not willing to take but I had to or I would land in deeper trouble. I really didn't want to tell him though. I recalled what I had done yesterday.

Flashback of yesterday noon:

"Ammi, shall we go shopping tomorrow? There are some pumps and sunglasses I really want to buy and I need your critical analysis on it to know if they are really worth it. So can we go please? Just you and me?" I pleaded my mother. I knew I couldn't meet Ibraheem right after school, that sounded near impossible but it sounded more realistic to meet him in a mall or something while mom was busy shopping for lawn suits. I wasn't exactly lying though, I had been wanting to buy shades for a while.

"Alright, Mish, if you say so, plus it has been long since we last went out together. I will pick you up after school so we can go to Emporium. Sounds good?"

"Wonderful. Love you mom." I hugged her as guilt gnawed at my heart but I was helpless so I really couldn't do anything at this point.

Flashback ended.

So, you want to tell me why you are not replying?

Sorry, I started studying. I lied. Should I tell him? I did this for him, more like myself so I guess I should but I need to clear out some things first.

I asked you a question before. Is it just me or he sounds annoyed?

Will you leave me be if we meet once? Please say yes.

Not really but I won't bother you as much if that makes you feel any better. I don't but it was better than nothing. I really didn't need this right now.

Hey, listen, I am going to the mall with my mother tomorrow, I can meet you for a short while then. I bit my lip in anticipation. Was I doing the right thing? Probably not but he was a manipulative jerk and I needed to get him off my back somehow.

What mall? And how short? I sighed, my heart was beating like crazy in my chest. I had never lied to my family like this and taken such a huge risk. I could feel like death had come knocking on my door.

Emporium and pretty short, like 15 minutes max. Please Ibraheem, don't cause any more problems for me. If I get caught, I will be in a lot of trouble so agree to this, yeah? I pleaded and I didn't care at this point if it makes me feel weak or anything.

Alright. What time? I sighed in relief when he agreed. Thank you, I said silently to no one in particular.

3 p.m.? I knew I would have to install messenger into my phone for tomorrow so I can notify him of my exact location when we go to Emporium. Clearly, I can't walk around with my laptop so there we go.

Sounds perfect. I look forward to meeting you tomorrow, Misha. There was no way I was thinking likewise. I could feel the anxiety coursing into my veins. I had never done something like this and I never wanted to either. There was no thrill in this, just absolute terror if I get caught.

....

It was 2 p.m. of the dreaded day and my stress level had reached new heights. Mom and driver were supposed to pick me up today. I kept looking at the gate to see my driver but there were no signs of him. My phone was in the car, I had made sure to leave it there in the morning before leaving for school. I had installed the messenger app so I could tell Ibraheem where we should meet. I had calmed only the slightest knowing that it was just me and my mom so I could actually pull this off. My right leg kept shaking from the anxiety. I had been sitting on a bench near the gate to keep an eye for my driver. Finally, my eyes landed on a familiar face and the color completely drained from my face. This can't be happening. Not today, no. Please. Oh my God, I am doomed.