During his blissful state, a thought occurred to Dan as they made their way out of the park. "I'll walk you home, okay? You're probably getting tired after the day we had."

(Y/N) looked up, seeming a little startled by his sudden words. Dan chuckled and gave her a quiet 'sorry' before she had a chance to speak. "Ah, I was just thinking the same thing. Except I was going to offer to walk you home instead."

Dan felt a low laugh rumble in his throat. He placed his free hand over his chest feeling both humored and touched at the same time. "How kind of you. But it wouldn't be very gentlemanly of me if I made you walk home alone. I'll bring you home, okay? I don't want you walking by yourself at this hour."

(Y/N) looked at him with radiant eyes, practically melting his insides with how sincere and truthful they were. "Thank you, Dan. I really appreciate it."

Dan smiled as warmth spread through his body. "Anytime, (Y/N)." He could feel her grip on his hand tighten throughout their entire conversation, bringing him back to one question he hadn't been able to ask yet. He briefly thought back to this afternoon at the Starbucks, a mental image of (Y/N) freezing up at an unwanted touch still burning in his mind. It concerned him a lot seeing as (Y/N) had told him and Phil nothing of how she was currently feeling about... that event. "Hey, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"At the Starbucks earlier, I saw you tense up when that guy brushed up against you. Are you still... thinking about that night?"

Dan could feel (Y/N) stiffen at the mention of that cursed evening, no doubt bringing all sorts of terrible memories to the surface. This wasn't something that happened a month or even a year ago; it had only been a few nights ago. She must be feeling all sorts of emotions around it. "I... I don't know. I kind of got a little overwhelmed and just starting thinking about all the things that Ry–" She cleared her throat, coughing out the bitter bile that surfaced whenever that name was uttered. "–that person tried to do to me. I don't know, it just surfaced for a second and freaked me out."

Dan nodded, keeping his gaze centered on (Y/N) as she spoke. He felt unbearable sadness and rage muddle together in his chest. While he hadn't even come close to experiencing what she had, remembering how he found her like that was enough to shatter his heart. "I can imagine. (Y/N), please tell me whenever you're feeling this way. I want to be there for you. I really do. And I know I probably won't be much help, but I want to try. If you'll let me, of course..."

(Y/N) gave a long sigh. She suddenly leaned into Dan's side, causing him to jump a little bit. He stopped in his tracks and looked down at the girl by his side, watching as she kept her eyes closed, staying still against his arm. "Honestly, keep being yourself and I think that will work wonders. Just being near you is the best thing I could ever ask for."

Feeling his heart leap into his chest, Dan's brain began to melt, causing him to say stupid things against his better judgment. "And Phil too. Don't forget him."

(Y/N)'s body shook against his side as she let laughter rumble through her body. "Okay, yes. Being near Phil will also help. But I think you missed the point here; I don't like Phil the same way as I like you."

"Well that's good. Otherwise I'd have to beat up my best friend."

"You're such an idiot sometimes."

"Yeah, well you're the one that likes this idiot."

"Shit, you got me there."

"Who's the fool now, hmm?"

"The one who literally just walked me past my apartment."

"Oh." Dan had to take a few steps backwards as he brought (Y/N) back to the front of her flat's entrance. The front door was still wedged open slightly with a piece of debris; Seriously, did no one care about break ins at this complex? "Should we take that thing out so the door locks?"