Part 16: Leave Town

Start from the beginning

There was more to the story but she decided not to pry. Dealing with Nick and Ramona and the possibility that one of them might not make it, it had to be tough.

"Where are you?" Caleb asked.

"My grandma's."

"Ok, I'll meet you there. I gotta make a quick stop. See you in 30 min."

Every thing he was saying sounded normal, but loaded. Cryptic. There was something he wasn't saying. But she guessed she would figure out what that was whenever he arrived. "Okay. Oh I fed Ginger before I left."

"Who?"

"I named your dog."

She could hear him laugh on the other side of phone which felt good, "I see."

"You can't have a puppy with no name. It's an asshole thing to do. So her names Ginger, deal with it." Simona joked, but was still half serious.

He laughed again, making her smile, "Yes ma'am." she could feel him still smiling and it made her smile, it made her cover her face to hide how bashful she felt. "I'll see you soon Simona."

"I'll be here." with a snort she joked, "Not like I'm going anywhere. Mechanic is busy and can't come look at my car until tomorrow morning."

Marian's voice carried from the house to the porch, "Don't worry dear, I'll fix it. I found some wires or cord out in the parking lot last night. Strange. Maybe they are yours." She was lying her ass off. She knew she had sabotaged her ride. Childish, nosy, busy body, Marian.

Rolling her eyes Simona continued with her conversation, "I'll see you in a little bit Caleb. Bye."

"I- Bye Simona."

"Bye."

His voice sounded so off, like there was so much hidden behind every word he said. Was he regretting their night together? Caleb was an honest man, if there was something wrong he would tell her. There was no use in speculating. But she knew she was going to.

* * *

Caleb sat in the driveway for several minutes before building up the courage to get out of the jeep. He could see his father setting up sprinklers for the fresh crop of corn coming in in the field. He had seen Caleb sitting there but didn't acknowledge him, he made no attempt to greet the son he hadn't seen in over a year.

His brother Chance came walking around the side of the house a few buckets in his hands. Though it had only been a few month since he has seen his 17 year old brother, he looked bigger than he remembered. Chance Talley stood 6ft fall, broad shoulders, same lean build the Caleb use to have before a week ago, sparkling green eyes and chestnut hair, strong jawline and dimpled chin. He was going to be a lady killer, if he wasn't already. Caleb use to joke that he looked like a young Clark Kent.

 Caleb use to joke that he looked like a young Clark Kent