Chapter Forty-Two

Lyra was strangely excited to go back home for Easter break. While she would miss James, Sirius, Remus, Peter, Rabastan, Lucinda and all her friends dearly, she hadn't seen any family members since September 1st.

Cygnus and Druella were both thrilled that their little girl was coming home. It was a strange thing, that ever since they had lost one daughter five years ago, they seemed much more insistent on keeping the remaining ones closer. 

They had all the time in the world to spend time with Bellatrix and Narcissa. Bellatrix came by for dinner at least once a week so she could avoid her husband, and Narcissa loved showing them their young grandson as often as possible.

But Lyra was their only child still at school. They were supposed to only see her during the holidays, which she didn't come for at Christmas, and hear from her through letters, which she often found herself too busy studying to offer long, in-depth responses.   

The moment Lyra apparated into the manor she had grown up, in she was met with her parents' happy faces. She put her trunk down and quickly found herself in her mother's embrace, choking. "Alright, mum. I need to breathe."

Druella pulled away, pulling a strand of her daughter's blonde hair behind her ear. "I'm allowed to smother you when I haven't seen you in almost a year. No parent should be away from their child for so long."

"I very much agree," said Cygnus. Not even the usually stoic patriarch of the house was able to keep from showing a bit of emotion at the sight of his young daughter. "Especially when you've changed so much during this time. You look so beautiful, sweetheart."

"Thanks, dad," Lyra smiled brightly, but unused to the attention. Being one of four while growing up meant that being the only at home was a rare occurance until the others went to school. Now she almost like an only child as her other sisters all had their own families. 

"Don't you have a hug in you for your deal old dad? You've turned seventeen and everything since I last saw you. Come here," the father said, opening his arms, to which she quickly ran into them, allowing him to hold on to her. 

Lyra smiled happily into the embrace. She had felt like she had grown and become much more independent during the last year. But there was still the moments when a girl just needed a hug from her dad. 

"You have no idea how good it is for us to see you." Druella couldn't be happier to see her daughter and husband together again. "Bellatrix is always out with her husband, and Narcissa, Hector and Marcus have their own family, and you're always out at school."

"We're starting to feel like we've imagined you this whole time since you're never here." Cygnus reached up and messed up her neatly braided blonde hair, which made her laugh. "Not even for Christmas."

"Right. Sorry about that," the seventeen-year-old apologized sheepishly. She wanted to tell them that she hadn't stayed at school because she didn't want to see them. She just didn't want to see the Dark Lord. "But I'm here now, and I've missed you, too."

Loud footsteps approached the parlor the small family was standing in, and Lyra wondered who else was at the house. She had been told it was only going to be them as far as she remembered. She hoped it wasn't all a lie. 

A man in his mid-forties walked out, a playful gleam in his eye and a wide grin on his face. "Do my eyes deceive me? Or could that beautiful, young woman be my beloved godddaughter? Is that Lyra Cassiopeia?"

"Merlin! Uncle Alphard, you're actually here!" Lyra exclaimed happily, glad to see her favorite uncle for the first time in several years, especially as he was her Godfather. Well, both hers and Sirius's.