Chapter 19: Fulfilling Our Promise

A couple of days later

How am I supposed to tell Elijah that I can't make it to our anniversary plans because Dad decided that we are going somewhere? I have no idea. Do I just blurt it out when we are unpacking our new apartment? Do I ease into it? I shake these thoughts away and I grab a box from the living room and I move it to the kitchen. I open it and I start to take out the contents. It is all of our plates and stuff from when we lived in the dorms. Elijah notices me distracting myself.

"Okay, what's up with you," he says grabbing a plate from the box.

"Nothing, everything is fine," I say opening the cabinet and putting on the stack.

"That is what someone says when everything isn't fine."

"It's fine, just drop it please," I say facing him.

"I'm not going to drop it, Willow. Something is bothering you and I'm worried." I'm going to have to tell him.

"My dad is taking me out this weekend," I say quietly.

"Okay?" He asks hoping for me to elaborate.

"He wants to take me out this Saturday," I elaborate. I thought that I would see his face drop in disappointment, but no.

"Oh, I'll just take you out on Sunday then." Wait, what? He isn't upset.

"You're not upset?" I ask confused.

"No, you haven't spent much time with your dad in a while, so I think that this will be good for the two of you."

"But I like spending time with you more."

"Yeah, I do too, but that doesn't mean our family doesn't deserve any less attention, especially now that we live together. They are going to miss having us around," he explains wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I guess, are you sure you are okay with this?" I ask again to confirm.

"I'm sure, now back to packing, we have a lot left," he says picking up a bowl. We continue unpacking on our day off of work. We both took today off so we can unpack because if we didn't do it now, we never would do it.

Saturday...

Dad texted me a let me know that he is picking me up in a couple of minutes. He told me to dress casual. Elijah told me that since I was going out tonight that he would be working late. I wish I could get a goodbye kiss, but I guess I'll have to do without it. My phone pings telling me that Dad is here. I grab my purse and sling it over my body. I lock the apartment and I make my way downstairs and I see Dad waiting in the car. I open the door and I sit inside.

"What took you so long?" He asks waiting for me to buckle my seatbelt.

"I live on the 4th floor, give me a break," I say as soon as my seatbelt clicks.