Chapter 14: Promise

It would have been nice to know that my daughter was heading home instead of just not answering her phone

It would have been nice to know that my daughter was heading home instead of just not answering her phone. When I went to check her room in the morning, I expected her to be alone, but a dad can dream, right? No, she and Elijah were all cuddled up.

"Good morning, my lovely daughter. How was your first year of college?" I ask in the most flamboyant way. I see her open her eyes and look at me. I show off my pearly whites and wait for a response. Instead, I get this...

"Willow, if that is your dad, I expect you to have an emotional speech at my funeral," Elijah says pulling her covers over his head. Smart boy, he knows that it is his funeral.

"Elijah, get your ass up, Dad isn't going to kill you, right?" She asks looking at me. I shrug, she rolls her eyes. It's all good in the hood. Elijah sits up and rubs his eyes.

"Daniel, even though you are a delight, what are you doing here at this fine hour?" Elijah asks. Aw, he thinks I'm a delight. How cute. Still his funeral.

"You know how my daughter went off to college and called every so often, then all of a sudden it is like she went, poof. Then I see her boyfriend's car in the driveway. I can't help but wonder if I missed the memo about them coming home," I say tapping my chin. Both of their eyes widen. Mission success.

"I'm waiting."

"Well, um, we, um... Sorry?" Willow says. That's all she has to say. Sorry? As a parent, when your child moves out or is away at school, we expect at least some contact. They went off the radar. We got short texts and no phone calls. She is my baby girl, it is hard to not talk to her. But what really scared us the most, is that they didn't let us know that they were heading back home. It is a long drive and they didn't tell us. What if something had happened, we wouldn't have known what they were doing.

"Your kidding, right? I get that you have classes, finals, essays, and all that, but that doesn't mean you stop talking to us. We are still your parents. Do you know how close we were to flying down to check on you? Not to mention that you didn't even tell us that you both were driving back."

"Dad, I'm an adult. I didn't think I would have to let you know my every move," she replies getting upset.

"I'm just trying to keep you safe. I can't lose you like I lost your mother."