Chapter 2: Death

I never thought that I would hear the words, 'I'm sorry for your loss,' at this age, especially for my mother

I never thought that I would hear the words, 'I'm sorry for your loss,' at this age, especially for my mother. She went out for groceries. She was supposed to come home and then we were going to eat lunch. Then I was going to hang out with Elijah after his dentist appointment. This was never a part of the plan for today. What about tomorrow? How am I supposed to celebrate my 18th birthday without the person who gave birth to me?

How are my father and I supposed to keep living without the person who made us feel alive?

My father. He lost the person that he loved most in this world, besides me. What is he going to do without her? What am I going to do?

Mom is going to miss my graduation. My birthdays. My wedding. My first baby. Everything. What am I supposed to do without her?

Dad and I eventually make it home after the police said that they will contact us in a couple of days. Uncle Matt and Aunt Abby are waiting outside the house and when they see us get out of the car with tears completely streaming down both of our faces. Aunt Abby pulls Dad close to her and he completely breaks down and can barely stay standing. Me, I'm numb. I'm crying but I don't know how to feel right now. Uncle Matt pulls me into a hug and that's the tipping point. All you hear on our street is our sobs. Our cries.

We eventually make our way inside and Dad went upstairs to their room and closed and locked the door. Abby tried to get him to open the door, but he wouldn't. Am I going to lose my father too? I found myself in my room. You would think for a teenage girl my room would be cover in band posters and pictures of my friends, but for me, I only have my family and my best friend. Don't get me wrong, I have other friends, but I have known Elijah all my life. I look around at the pictures on my desk and on the walls and my mother is in almost every single one of them. I start to rip them down from the wall and throw them on my bed. I don't need to see her staring at me anymore. She's gone. She's not here. After they are all gone, I pick them up one by one and start to throw them on the ground. Before I let go of the second one, someone grabs me from behind and I drop the frame and break down crying. They turn me around and pull me close to them. I take a deep breath and I'm instantly calmed by the smell. I know that smell from anywhere. Elijah.

"It's okay. I've got you," he says keeping me close to him. I cry into his chest more and then I hear someone running up the stairs. I open my eyes a little and I see Uncle Matt standing right there trying to figure out what happened to my room.

"What happened here?" Matt asks in the gentlest way possible.

"I don't know," Elijah replies. I cry harder into his chest and he starts to rub my back trying to calm me down. He continues to hold me until my cries slow and Matt clears off my bed putting all of the pictures back on my desk. I slowly start to fall asleep and Elijah lays me down on the bed and lays with me until I fall asleep.

	Once she falls asleep, I should slip out and let her be alone, but I can't

Once she falls asleep, I should slip out and let her be alone, but I can't. She may not know it, but I love this woman with all my being. I look over and I see her curl into a fetal position and she pulled a pillow closer to her. I stare at the ceiling for what feels like hours but then I feel someone snuggle up against me. I wish I could call her mine, but right now she just needs me. She needs someone she knows is never going to leave. We will take one day at a time. But, for right now, I pull her close and close my eyes too.