Chapter 8: Normalcy

Christmas had passed as quickly as it had arrived

Christmas had passed as quickly as it had arrived. Elijah got me a painting of one of my favorite photos. It was one of everyone all together. It's hanging on my bedroom wall next to some other photos. Anyways, I have been thinking a lot about what Ava talked to me about. Is it possible that I am following in my mother's footsteps with falling in love with my best friend? Maybe, but who knows. I am still seeing my therapist and it has been helping a lot in the last couple of weeks. Did I mention that I have to return to school for the second semester? No, well, I am. I took a majority of my first semester classes over the summer, but I was supposed to attend for the last of my classes that I needed to complete, and I did for the first week, but then the accident happened. I finished up the rest of the classes online and now I'm going back to finish up the year so I can graduate. I guess you can say that going back to school is me going back to a normal life, even though it was never normal, to begin with.

My alarm went off this morning at the ungodly hour of 6 AM and I have no idea why. School doesn't start until 8 and we live like 10 minutes away. I got up and made sure that I have everything I need in my backpack. God knows that I'll forget something that is extremely important. After I got dressed and threw on some light makeup, I made my way downstairs to find Elijah in the kitchen talking to my dad as he poured a cup of coffee. It is not only my first day back to school, but it is also my dad's first day back at work. He works at some security company in the city.

"Hey lazy," Dad says handing me the cup of coffee he just poured.

"Dad," I say grabbing the cup of coffee.

"No hello for me?" Elijah asks from behind me.

"It is almost 7 in the morning. Give me a break," I say taking a sip of the smooth, delicious caffeinated beverage, formally known as coffee.

"Excuses, excuses," he says grabbing the cup from my hands and taking a sip. Oh hell no. Nobody takes my coffee. I turn around to face him and I try to grab the cup but he raises it above my head. Thanks, genes for the shortness. I totally appreciate it at the moment. Not.

"Oh does someone want the coffee," Elijah says like he is talking to a dog.

"I'm not a dog. Just give it to me," I ask reaching up towards it. He moves it down a little a bit at a time until I can reach it and then I go to grab it and he moves and places it on the counter behind him. I go to reach for it and I lose my balance falling on top of him.

"If you wanted to lay on top of me all you had to do way ask," Elijah says propping himself up on his elbows. I'm still on top of him. I blow the hair out of my eyes and I look into his hazel eyes and I see the sparkle that I saw at Thanksgiving. Do we have a habit of falling on top of each other? People can say we are falling for each other. It is only just me. I'm pulled out of my thoughts to Dad clearing his throat.

"Am I interrupting something?" Dad asks holding another cup of coffee. Elijah and I both get up and look over a Dad who is nonchalantly drinking his cup of coffee. I swear my Dad is nuts. I stand up without injuring Elijah and I grab my coffee from the counter and I finally drink the deliciousness. Elijah tried to grab it again and I growled at him. My coffee. Anyways, we all worked together and made breakfast and then Dad went to work and Elijah drove me to school since we only have one car. We are working on getting another car soon, we are just waiting on some legal issues. When we arrive at school, I really don't want to get out of the car. Elijah walks over to my side and opens my door and unbuckles my seatbelt. I have nothing to grip onto, so Elijah picks me up and throws me over his shoulder and carries me inside of the school.